The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Making friends but not living in halls

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still going to leave home - I’ve thought about going into a house on my own, though, which is about a 30 minute walk from the university. It seems lovely, but my parents are concerned about the fact that I may not make many close friends if I do this. Have people made friends without living in halls? Or do you think there could be some kind of forum for people to make friends while they don’t live in halls or something?
Original post by yowzas
Don’t get me wrong, I’m still going to leave home - I’ve thought about going into a house on my own, though, which is about a 30 minute walk from the university. It seems lovely, but my parents are concerned about the fact that I may not make many close friends if I do this. Have people made friends without living in halls? Or do you think there could be some kind of forum for people to make friends while they don’t live in halls or something?

They do but its harder. Still possible.

Why dont you want to live in hall? Is it because you dont want to share? Some halls you can rent a studio.
Theres still clubs and societies, course mates and your own social skills.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by yowzas

Hi there,

The key thing to remember here is to do whatever you are most comfortable doing! It is true that people often make friends in halls. But you can just as easily make friends by joining societies and clubs, where you will meet people with similar interests. Often you will meet people on the same course as you, who you connect with!

Seperately consider how easy it may be to commute for 30 mins regularly and what costs you might incurr for travelling and living alone. (often you can share costs on things like food, if you are living with other people)

But overall don't worry too much! People live off campus and people live in halls, do whichever makes you happiest.

All the best

Harry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending