Year with Carrot Insurance (Black Box) & Why to stay away!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Name:  carrot.png
Views: 431
Size:  397.4 KB

Just gonna kick this off with a picture of warnings and 2 policy cancellations to set the tone on this.

I've just finished my first year of driving and also my first year with a black box. Also will be my last year with one funnily enough. I see lots of posts here explaining why you shouldn't go with a black box and what implications it can have. I'll break it up into little sections.

1) Cost

This is the only reason why people would go for a black box if they're sane in the head, the cost for my insurance was £2000 while non telematics quote was around £3500 for the cheapest one. £1500 sounds like a lot of money you could save but in the long run it will most likely cost you more

2) Scoring

The worst thing about black boxes, the technology in it is unreliable, unpredictable and just straight up unfair. But there's nothing you can do in return as Carrot simply don't care and tell you your driving it rubbish. A lot of other black box companies are the same.

I'm not sure on others but my policy worked on a Weekly system and was judged upon that. What they don't tell you is that it doesn't work off an average system. Rather their own system that will penalise you more often.

For example, you could have 6 journeys. Let's say you received the following scores: -2, 8.3, 9.7, 10, 10, 10. You'd expect the weekly score to be hovering around 6-7 when it would actually be around -1 to 1 because of one bad score. If you see above, I had 2 cancellation notices. This is because I have a week where I received 2 negative scores but they dragged the weekly score to -1 and -4 despite having perfect drives elsewhere. The only reason I didn't get cancelled is cause I kicked off big time about the averages, and that it took so long for their support team to give an answer that they just reinstated my policy.

This is the main reason you should stay away, the foundation in which these companies are based on, IS BROKEN. If you get your policy cancelled you will be looking at a ridiculously high premium, I was facing around £7000 if I were to have my policy declared. As it goes against your name and you have to declare it. Ask if that little saving it worth it?

3) Customer Service

Dog***, 90 minutes to answer a call and a business week to reply to an email? Do I need to explain more. When I wen't to ask Admiral about a quote, had someone within a minute.

4) Extra Miles

I ended up needing to buy another 3000 miles due to a change in occupation and a longer commute time. I had to shell out an extra £400 and then another £35 for the policy change. The cost between getting a proper policy and a black box is now less and less.

5) Restrictions

Many black boxes penalise you for being out late and driving too long or too many journeys. Remember this. Some even have fines for driving between 11pm-5am. Ridiculous.

Just stay away from having a black box, please take my word for it as I see tons of people on here asking so even if I convince one person not to, I'm happy! Also black box's mean you can't have fun so it kills the fun and passion a lot. It's made my first year of driving a year of hell and nervousness rather than anything else.

TLDR: DON'T GET A BLACK BOX, YOU'LL REGRET IT
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As we tell people every single day in this section, but it's nice to get a proper first-hand review from someone who was unfortunate enough to fall into the box trap.

There's enough things to be nervous about in your first year (the 6 point limit for 2 years for a start). No-one should feel the need to add to the list of things to worry about.
Last edited by nevershear; 2 years ago
xDron3
Rep:
?
(Original post by nevershear)
As we tell people every single day in this section, but it's nice to get a proper first-hand review from someone who was unfortunate enough to fall into the box trap.

There's enough things to be nervous about in your first year (the 6 point limit for 2 years for a start). No-one should feel the need to add to the list of things to worry about.
The only reason I've come to this section is to rant about black boxes and never actually seen anyone post their experience in full. The companies make black boxes seem great and only beneficial to you but we all know the case...
Maryelizabeth21
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m with RAC black box it’s not that bad but my score is always going down randomly! I lodged a complaint because it recorded me as speeding when I wasn’t. They said they couldn’t find in my favour but gave no reasons at all. Luckily I’ve not had any threats of cancellation etc but it’s so annoying having my score being dropped for no reason!
As a new driver it’s stressful enough and it would be nice for the black box not to make me feel useless half the time. Hopefully next year I can not have one
HighlandWarrior
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was with carrot and had a black box, never had an issue.
xDron3
Rep:
?
(Original post by HighlandWarrior)
I was with carrot and had a black box, never had an issue.
If you go on trustpilot it seems to be 50/50 on who has problems and who doesn't
Little_fly
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mines not too bad but the score randomly goes down! And I don't like how it penalizes me for others bad driving eg. If they pull out in front of me and I have to slam on my brakes to not hit them
student76543221
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Only had this insurance for 2 weeks. The app connects to anything in my house with Bluetooth, connect to other peoples cars when I’m a passenger. It scores the driving of others as if it is me even though I am a passenger in someone else’s car. Records journeys that do not happen. The company is inadequate and their customer service is useless, they are incapable of solving the problems. I have been trying to cancel my insurance for 3 days but their “chat” makes it extremely difficult especially since you can’t phone and request a manager. The manager has to phone you back and they don’t phone you back. Then when you cancel your insurance due to their incompetence and the lack of a capable and professional app they charge you extortionate amounts. DO NOT INSURE YOUR CAR WITH THIS COMPANY, You will regret every second of it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.54%

Watched Threads