The Student Room Group

London violence could take a generation to solve claims Mayor

Scroll to see replies

londoners are such overreactors. dont even have significant gun crime and whinging about bloody knives every second. people get murdered all over the world and theyre whinging about some nicks and bruises. they dont give a **** about crime, they're arsed about medical costs.
Original post by londonmyst
The fixation with singling out a few high profile violent gangs based on ethnic heritage of members is so unhelpful and misleading.

yeah. "london crime" is now a code term for "blacks". lol. "lets discuss london crime" is "lets discuss blacks." "crime is so hard to solve" is code for "we cant get rid of these blacks." I know all ze codes.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
yeah. "london crime" is now a code term for "blacks". lol. "lets discuss london crime" is "lets discuss blacks." "crime is so hard to solve" is code for "we cant get rid of these blacks." I know all ze codes.

I don't use any codes.
Over the years I've crossed paths with so many gang members, violent criminals and habitually antisocial individuals whose conduct was bordering criminal.
All races, variety of nationalities, most male and almost all living in high crime areas.
I have met a few terribly violent females too with gang affiliations, who usually get unduly lenient criminal sentences for vile crimes solely due to being female.
I'm interested in the actual crime, impact on the victim and use of proper sentencing powers- not obsessing over the offender's relatives not involved in the offence or the offender's long list of grumbles/demands.
I don't use any codes.
Over the years I've crossed paths with so many gang members, violent criminals and habitually antisocial individuals whose conduct was bordering criminal.
All races, variety of nationalities, most male and almost all living in high crime areas.
I have met a few terribly violent females too with gang affiliations, who usually get unduly lenient criminal sentences for vile crimes solely due to being female.
I'm interested in the actual crime, impact on the victim and use of proper sentencing powers- not obsessing over the offender's relatives not involved in the offence or the offender's long list of grumbles/demands.

i cba
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
Then why did we ban guns?

I forgot about the days where people used to chop vegetables with a smith and Wesson
Original post by limetang
I forgot about the days where people used to chop vegetables with a smith and Wesson

I miss those days :frown:

Crime in London can be mapped almost perfectly to a demographic map of African and afro-Caribbean residents. London crime is not a code word for blacks, people are openly stating that black Londoners are significantly predisposed to crime especially violent crime.

Political correctness is the moral posturing to protect sensitivity in place of actual truth.

The actual and real response should be that the UK needs to review which nations it accepts migrants from and we need to impose a points scheme in order to prevent low quality, high crime immigration from entering the country.
The fixation with singling out a few high profile violent gangs based on ethnic heritage of members is so unhelpful and misleading.
The most relevant considerations are sink estates, culture of antisocial behavior and often families with multiple generations of drug dealers or thugs- from all races.

The gangs tend to be just as bad as each other regardless of ancestral heritage; all very violent, culture of weapons possession, drug dealing and recruiting based on postcode locality and family ties.
Some are just a lot more brazen when it comes to armed attacking in public places during broad daylight, so attract more publicity and convictions amongst their membership than the rest.

It is very helpful, we need to understand why crime is happening and the underlying causes. In the case of London it is directly related to the immigration of Afro-Caribbeans and Africans.

There is a much higher level of deprivation outside of London. London has endless numbers of opportunities and there is a lot of money flowing around. Any motivated and intelligent person has the opportunity to be successful in London, further more many of these criminal residents benefit from huge contributions to their lifestyle in the form of benefits.

The solution is much harsher policing and much longer sentences. If someone is caught with a knife give them 40 years in jail. This has two benefits, it will decrease knife crime and prevent the least desirable elements of our society from reproducing.
Original post by Boronrus
people are openly stating that black Londoners are significantly predisposed to crime especially violent crime.

Political correctness is the moral posturing to protect sensitivity in place of actual truth.

The actual and real response should be that the UK needs to review which nations it accepts migrants from and we need to impose a points scheme in order to prevent low quality, high crime immigration from entering the country.

:rofl: true, especially the first part and most of the migration part. I think immigrants/migrants who aren't as much statistic threats as far as street crime are still realistic threats, though, like from the EU and middle east.
:rofl: true, especially the first part and most of the migration part. I think immigrants/migrants who aren't as much statistic threats as far as street crime are still realistic threats, though, like from the EU and middle east.

I don't think EU or middle eastern immigration is necessarily bad, if they can qualify for UK citizenship through a rigorous points scheme system, then they could be an asset to the nation.

Immigration is like booze: bad booze is terrible, good booze can be fantastic. Still if you drink too much good booze, you will be left feeling like crap.
I don't think EU or middle eastern immigration is necessarily bad, if they can qualify for UK citizenship through a rigorous points scheme system, then they could be an asset to the nation.

Immigration is like booze: bad booze is terrible, good booze can be fantastic. Still if you drink too much good booze, you will be left feeling like crap.

A points system is good and necessary, but I'm not even discussing citizenship. I'm discussing simply the entry to the country, there needs to be a points system there as well and more for all countries.

Yes too much of anything is bad.

The solution is much harsher policing and much longer sentences. If someone is caught with a knife give them 40 years in jail. This has two benefits, it will decrease knife crime and prevent the least desirable elements of our society from reproducing.

I agree with your comments about longer criminal sentencing terms for individuals caught in possession of unlawful weapons in public places and more visible/stronger policing.
But obsessing over particular ethnicity's or immigration issues is misleading, shortsighted and wrong.
The main problems are a culture of antisocial behavior and mass criminality, both of which usually thrive within environments like sink estates.
Gang members and the victims of gang violence come from all races, not just two.
Over the years I've met hundreds of gang members, from those under 11 to "elders" in their 30s.
All British citizens, dozens of different gangs, members from many different races and quite a few female members.
I agree with your comments about longer criminal sentencing terms for individuals caught in possession of unlawful weapons in public places and more visible/stronger policing.
But obsessing over particular ethnicity's or immigration issues is misleading, shortsighted and wrong.
The main problems are a culture of antisocial behavior and mass criminality, both of which usually thrive within environments like sink estates.
Gang members and the victims of gang violence come from all races, not just two.
Over the years I've met hundreds of gang members, from those under 11 to "elders" in their 30s.
All British citizens, dozens of different gangs, members from many different races and quite a few female members.

No ....You are wrong . When police collate crime statistics it also includes ethnicity and what type of crime has been committed .
This clearly shows what individuals are responsible and the age group .
There is nothing short sighted about specific facts in relation to certain types of crime and especially violent crime etc . It all provides an essential tool in preventing more crime by allowing the police the power to target those most likely to commit such crImes . In this instance blacks and mixed race gangs .You can look at the figures reported for proof.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Andrew97
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46095279

There have been 118 homocides in the capital to date this year, this compares to 116 for the whole of last year.

This also comes as the met police commander announced hundreds of extra officers on the streets, although police numbers have dropped since 2010.

What is causing this rise in knife crime? Why are people carrying knives around? How do we combat this?

More pre-emptive police patrolling and stop and searching, preferably by officers that match the colour of the search-ee, to avoid/minimise any (mostly insincere) accusations of discrimination (I'm not sure how else to approach this).

Cultural factors play a sizeable role (for instance the 'no-snitching'/'F**** the police' culture) so work to break these down from the ground up. Then lower boundaries of entering the police force/army/further education, maybe concentrate on lowering boundaries where there exist shortages, nursing for example.

I personally think preventative policing is the crux, what good can police do after arriving on the scene when somebody is already bleeding out, the offender has already taken off and no witnesses will talk out of fear.

You can not, of course, blame the police for being wary about patrolling, so pay them a better salary and sort them out some better kit.

I strongly disagree, the key issue is the demographics who cause knife crime. If they were not around, knife crime would not occur.

More policing will not solve the problem. You could double the amount of police and they still would not achieve the level of coverage across a city like London to have a meaningful impact on knife crime.

How to stop knife crime:
- stop immigration from Afro-Caribbean countries, deport those that we can.
- stop benefits for all of the single mothers who are producing this criminal class.
- stop the benefits for the people and families of the people involved in knife crime
- intensive stop and search program of high risk groups
- 40 year sentences for those involved in a stabbing
- zero tolerance approach to crime throughout London, with a 3 strikes and you're out program. After 3 strikes you receive mandatory 20 years in jail. I was shocked when i lived in London, where in areas like Camden/shoreditch gangs are operating openly in the streets.

My views are probably a little too intense for the British public currently, but I am sure the liberals living in London will harden their stance as the situation deteriorates
Well what's happened to STOP & SEARCH?
Then they wouldn't Carry knives

Do you see police around?
NO OF COURSE NOT.
Pull the other one, they love it
I strongly disagree, the key issue is the demographics who cause knife crime. If they were not around, knife crime would not occur.

More policing will not solve the problem. You could double the amount of police and they still would not achieve the level of coverage across a city like London to have a meaningful impact on knife crime.

How to stop knife crime:
- stop benefits for all of the single mothers who are producing this criminal class.
- stop the benefits for the people and families of the people involved in knife crime
- zero tolerance approach to crime throughout London, with a 3 strikes and you're out program. After 3 strikes you receive mandatory 20 years in jail. I was shocked when i lived in London, where in areas like Camden/shoreditch gangs are operating openly in the streets.

My views are probably a little too intense for the British public currently, but I am sure the liberals living in London will harden their stance as the situation deteriorates

"If they were not around , knife crime would not occur" is very true . Whilst I agree with your comments I think it is impossible to reverse the immigration of the past . Therwe is an under current of third world standards practically in every British city and violent crime is a by product .

How to stop knife crime:

Even though much or most of street crime at least in London is due to blacks, you need to compare how many blacks are criminals compared to how many blacks are total in the city. I'm sure the difference is large.

Took me 10 minutes:

13% of London is black and 5% is mixed black (Census 2011). Mixed blacks in London hang out with blacks and are related, and therefore might be in criminal activity with them, so I included them in the maths. 18% (0.18) * 8,200,000 (the population of London in 2011 roughly)=1,476,000 blacks/mixed living in London.

In 2016/17, according to https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/crime-justice-and-the-law/policing/number-of-arrests/latest:

71,609 blacks and 25,196 mixed were arrested. (So I was right that mixed people are involved a lot, that's a lot of people compared to such a small percentage of them existing). 52,000 were Asian (a LOT of crime compared to their population percentage). 500,000 whites (a lot compared to everyone else, but small compared to our population percentage).

Anyways, this means that while blacks are arrested most (probably for good reason), a very, very small amount of blacks TOTAL commit crime.
@londonmyst @Johnny English @AperfectBalance ☝️ read my above comment
Elvis song "In the ghetto"
It's about trying to survive.
The poor need money.

Education isn't working. They need jobs that pay.
All this strictness at schools, I don't see it working at all.
The poor have always been put in their place.

But why is there less stop and search if crime has gone up? Where's are protection gone? Why t have they halved the police on the streets?

Quick Reply