chelsea231100
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm based in north London... Studying business chemistry and biology at A level

- i want to become a football player.... Yep. I know. I'm currently 17 however turning 18 this novemeber.

Im going to skip the part where i ask, Do you think i can make it.

I haven't asked questions on here before so bare with me.

Im going to be taking a gap year and hopefully getting offers from unis within london such as kcl, queens for biochemistry/ maybe neuroscience?

however i love business. i love science too, however only the learning part of science, me going out and working in a lab or doing research sounds boring to me.

dont get it twisted, i dont want to do a business management degree either, as on its own i do not believe it is worth it. if you want to get better a football, you dont read a book about it, you go out and actually play football, same with business, you dont read about how to make profit, you go out and do it.

I want a biochemistry with business management course. However there is only 3 unis offering it. Imperial AAA, kingston college and i believe edinbourgh.

My predictions are AAB, impieral won't even consider me, i am not going to move to scotland as i am defo wanting to stay in london, and kingston is honestly not the uni for me, also it is not highly regarded? maybe thats just my friends opinion idk?

My statement is tailored towards a biochem degree however in queens and kcl there literally nothing to do with business, I want degree level business knowledge, i know i just literally said a mangament degree was not very useful however having science combined with business is my complementray duo

during my gap year im planning to persue football by attending trials and 1 or 2 contacts i have in mind that may work but probably wont, go gym, go work, get my driving done

what do you lot think i should do? i usually always answer peoples question and try be positive, this is the one time im asking for help and wanting to see if what goes around comes around?

should i take my gap year and just apply for biochemistry? obvs if i do get AAA OR A*aa ill reapply to Imperial. if i do flop then i.e CCC what do i do then

Question is literally an essay with no strucutre, i apologise. What do you think i should do, any tips? thanks...
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello. You say you are 17 and you want to become a football player. I take it you mean you want to become a professional footballer? Firstly, are you with any local club? Do they have scouts come over often from the professional teams to observe players? At 17 I should imagine most serious would-be professional footballers are well on their way, with a local team, contacts, scouts knowing who they are etc by that age. Many of course, at that age are already playing professionally and are signed with a club. Ask yourself honestly. If you ARE with a local amateur team, why do you think it hasn't happened for you? Has anyone in the know spoken to you about your potential/talent and what to do about it to take it to the next level? ( I trained in Classical Ballet for eight and a half years from the age of nine, before becoming a professional dancer at the Moulin Rouge in Paris). That's a photo of me in my Avatar! The training of a young footballer ( and the amount of years it takes) is not unlike becoming a professional dancer; i.e. tens of thousands want it, but few get there.
Last edited by markova21; 2 years ago
genZpro
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sounds like being a football player is what you ultimately want. So Id go all in. You take the course that best matches the football gig, then you move if you have to, do the gym and everything related to you doing football. Then, if it doesnt work out you can do uni if you still need it later. I'm telling you to go practical and not do the uni courses just to do them. Why doubt you can be a football if there's the slightest possibility and you can be so overly obsessed with getting it to actually make it. Make more of those connections, go on social and figure out how to position yourself in a place where you can get your foot in.

on a more personal note i realise why business combined with science is your complementary duo, but at the end of the day its very idealistic when you have another such major goal in mind (football). Not that you couldn't do it, im sure you could but imagine what you could do for your main goal if you used all the time on it.

Good luck mate
Ndidosnssnk
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes I do play for a local team, we play in cups etc, 1st for men’s- I completely agree with you- I do have 2 solid contacts that should be helpful if not I’m planning to goto trials etc, I’m obvs not oblivious to the chances of me being pro- however I’m planning to get into semi pro first , then from there see what I can do- perhaps play in a semi pro team taking 2 days a week and perhaps go uni at the same time Playing footy can only be until a certain age of 33ish?On the other hand- I asked my self would I happy be with me getting paid around minimum amount of money(just enough to get by e.g 2000pound a month) but being a pro footballer- I said no-I want money(I sound very bad I know) so I can give my mum a house etc... so I’m in a predicament Essentially I think I’m going to take a gap year where I build up my skills and physicality- work and make moneyGo to uni after the year and hopefully play semi pro whilst going uni? Or perhaps if I make it during that one year then do that? But idk? Since year 10 I wanted to do a level chemistry and bio and worked my ass off even with doing foundation maths at gsce I still managed to get into a class of a level chemists- so all this hard work would be a waste- at the same time working a 9-5 is a NO- I just want to be successful -“.... sorry for the para, thank you so much for both your replies
chelsea231100
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Replied with a different account below... scroll down-
please give an insight on what you think as i give you more context- thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (605)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (749)
41.89%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (354)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.47%

Watched Threads