The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
This has been discussed to death on the general forum. The overall ranking of Warwick is good, despite dubious ratings for Maths (10th) and Law (20th).
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Hasn't Warwick Law always been ranked (in league tables) fairly poorly?

Besides, I though Law League Tables were especially poor.
tomoli
Hasn't Warwick always been ranked (in league tables) fairly poorly?

You can expect some neg rep when certain people on here see that lol :p:
My problem with league tables is that the people writing them don't actually go to the universities in question. Neither has anyone been to ALL of them, so how can anyone compare them?

(Still, yay for us!)
Reply 4
99p And A Flake
You can expect some neg rep when certain people on here see that lol :p:
My problem with league tables is that the people writing them don't actually go to the universities in question. Neither has anyone been to ALL of them, so how can anyone compare them?

(Still, yay for us!)

Sorry, I meant Warwick Law. Have changed it now. The last few years Warwick seems to be have been ranked quite badly for Law, despite its excellent reputation.
Reply 5
tomoli
Sorry, I meant Warwick Law. Have changed it now. The last few years Warwick seems to be have been ranked quite badly for Law, despite its excellent reputation.

yeah, i totally don't get that....it was however 6th in the guardian. league tables are always contradicting each other lol.
tomoli

Oh yeah, it's silly.

I dont know how Maths came 10th, it should be no lower than 3rd!
Reply 7
law...its ranked 11th (tied with leeds) for law by the times. its ranked 7th by the guardian. thats not exactly bad
Reply 8
so which departments are doing esp well? and why do they have a better rep?
Reply 9
Wrt Maths - beware Student Satisfaction! Looking at the overall table, results vary between 3.5 and 4.2 out of 5. That's just not statistically valid, especially given the massive difficulties in actually measuring something like student satisfaction. Alsom because of the fairly small number of undergrads who have been to more than one uni, a perfectly sensible conclusion from that data is that Warwick appeals to students who are less happy in general than the others in the top ten... They should just drop the thing and go back to using proper data.

I'd also quite like to know where they got the graduate prospects score from given that a survey of employers had Warwick Maths grads as the second most desirable in the country, ahead of Oxford and only just behind Cambridge. Admittedly one survey from a couple of years ago doesn't say it's wrong, but it makes me suspicious. I've always wondered from figures I've seen before if people who go on to lecturing/research weigh down the score because of comparitively low earnings? No idea how they measure it though...

I guess much the same as always - an individual league table is pretty useless, look over a number of years.
Reply 10
WBS is one of the best business schools in the country. cant wait to do accounting and finance there!
voddyvodka
WBS is one of the best business schools in the country. cant wait to do accounting and finance there!

So you're ditching Nottingham then?
Reply 12
yeh i think so. i made a list of pros and cons, and warwick turned out on top! just need to nail the 6 exams ive got left for AAB. im on AAA at the moment but maths is beyond impossible
lol warwick is higher than times, which i think is the one most people are interested in (including myself :p:) and yeh warwick despite its good overall score didn't top that many league tables as an individual subject...strange.
Reply 14
andy_cole2
lol warwick is higher than times, which i think is the one most people are interested in (including myself :p:) and yeh warwick despite its good overall score didn't top that many league tables as an individual subject...strange.

Cambridge dominated the top spots with 36 of 'em. No other university gained more than 5, so I don't think that that figure contributes much to the overall ranking.

I'm happy to see these rankings. Sure, they don't really make much difference to anything and they aren't very representative, but there's no doubt they influence & reflect popular opinion to some extent, so it's good to see Warwick doing so well in general (5th), and in my subjects (French, 6th, and German, 4th).
yeh true, warwick is 4th and something else lower for my subjects pol and econ so thats all right i spose.

Latest