The Student Room Group

Should I dropout of University of Leeds?

It has been 5 weeks since I started studying at the University of Leeds on a course with a foundation year. I am a big procrastinator ever since GCSE's and with a couple weeks left on my assignments, I have started to do work. However, the stress is killing me and I don't know if I can handle it. For the past few days, I haven't been able to eat properly or focus and I keep trembling every time I think of University. I'm not sure if University was the right choice since I am really bad at reading academic pieces as well as writing essays or reports. I've never felt like this so I'm not sure if it is stress, anxiety or fear so I was wondering what other peoples thoughts were.
Original post by Anonymous
It has been 5 weeks since I started studying at the University of Leeds on a course with a foundation year. I am a big procrastinator ever since GCSE's and with a couple weeks left on my assignments, I have started to do work. However, the stress is killing me and I don't know if I can handle it. For the past few days, I haven't been able to eat properly or focus and I keep trembling every time I think of University. I'm not sure if University was the right choice since I am really bad at reading academic pieces as well as writing essays or reports. I've never felt like this so I'm not sure if it is stress, anxiety or fear so I was wondering what other peoples thoughts were.

Look, im only in year 13 however i guess i could give you some advice. Its your decision to drop out however my older brother who is currently in his last year at Manchester University was also in your same position, he would constantly stress out about his assignments, essays etc. But he kept at it and instead of cramming he slowly progressed into getting into a routine of studying daily in decent amounts rather than leaving it till the week before. This reduced the stress significantly and he felt much happier :smile:I think you should at least try this before doing something you may regret. I know you're currently feeling very anxious however if you work hard constantly rather than towards the end it will be much healthier for you and you will definitely do well. You're clearly smart enough as Leeds is a very good university, just try to learn to get into the habit and i am certain you will succeed :smile:
Reply 2
I agree with what you are saying but I honestly can't see myself getting over the assignments I have right now. If I can overcome this I think I'll try sticking with it and see how it goes and decide whether I should drop out or not.
Original post by Oneiropólos
This is what work will feel like when you begin your first job, you won’t quit then would you

This is not what work will feel like, which people who actually have jobs and have been to university know, as opposed to schoolchildren who spend their days making discriminatory posts on TSR...your comment is also not constructive for the thread.

Original post by Anonymous

You may want to discuss your experiences with your GP - if your uni work is causing you anxiety such that it's affecting your ability to do that uni work or even other things outside of uni, that might be something more serious. This will also at least start the process if necessary to get any issues documented to you can apply to the university for additional support for your studies, or to interrupt your studies for a year to help get yourself into a better mindset (while preserving your student finance eligibility).

At the end of the day uni is not the be all and end all, and you may find a different route better suited to your needs. Even if you leave uni now (either temporarily, by interrupting your studies for a year, or longer term by withdrawing from the course) that doesn't mean you can't go back sooner or later. However, due to funding concerns, it's important to a) document any medical difficulties you're facing (which starts with speaking with your GP) and b) consider whether taking some time out is worthwhile, and if so doing it sooner rather than later (as you have a "gift" year of funding from SFE, so even if you've lost a year of funding you will still be able to be funded for a full undergraduate degree at some point in the future).

Taking some time out to work, earn and save some money, and understand why it is you're getting this anxious and stressed over your work and what you can do to develop coping abilities for that can be very helpful. You may find it helps encourage you to go back, but with more focus and motivation and better able to complete the course. Alternately, you may find after spending some time outside of uni that you much prefer whatever you're doing then - be it working somewhere, doing an apprenticeship etc. You might realise you didn't need to go to uni to achieve your goals at all...
Original post by artful_lounger
This is not what work will feel like, which people who actually have jobs and have been to university know, as opposed to schoolchildren who spend their days making discriminatory posts on TSR...your comment is also not constructive for the thread.

Yes sure I’m a school child, you got me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending