Are achieved grades superior to predictions?

Watch
P. bateman
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Posted in the wrong area.
Last edited by P. bateman; 2 years ago
P. bateman
Rep:
?
Gap year student, achieved A*AB first time round in Maths, Psychology and Economics due to slight mitigating circumstances of running a business during studies to support my family.

Anyway i'm determined to peruse a career in investment banking and so its required I attend a target university for an Economics related course.

Resting Econ this year and taking up further maths AS. Predicted an A for both bringing my grades to A*A(achieved) and AA predicted in Econ and FM

All of my uni choices this year require A*AA (Econ at UCL,KCL,LSE)

Im just wondering if my prediction of A*AAA will be stronger given that I've already achieved the A* in maths or if my application will in fact be weaker due to the Econ resit?

I'll be applying the same either way, I just want to know if i'm at an advantage or a disadvantage application wise.

Thanks
Shiv7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by P. bateman)
Gap year student, achieved A*AB first time round in Maths, Psychology and Economics due to slight mitigating circumstances of running a business during studies to support my family.

Anyway i'm determined to peruse a career in investment banking and so its required I attend a target university for an Economics related course.

Resting Econ this year and taking up further maths AS. Predicted an A for both bringing my grades to A*A(achieved) and AA predicted in Econ and FM

Im just wondering if my prediction of A*AAA will be stronger given that I've already achieved the A* in maths or if my application will in fact be weaker due to the Econ resit?

I'll be applying the same either way, I just want to know if i'm at an advantage or a disadvantage application wise.

Thanks
I think for competitive universities, especially the ones you have applied for you might be at a slight disadvantage due to the fact you are resitting. However I expect them to be find with the fact you sat Maths early and got the top grade (well done). You've also picked up Further Maths which is key, as I've told so many people. The fact that you have 3 other A-Levels and an achieved grade in Maths which is the main requirement honestly think you'll be fine but you might have an ever so slight disadvantage compared to this year applicants. You'll still mostly get in though.
Hope this helps.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ss
You need to get on the phone to your universities directly and ask them how they consider A levels taken over 3 years
P. bateman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shiv7)
I think for competitive universities, especially the ones you have applied for you might be at a slight disadvantage due to the fact you are resitting. However I expect them to be find with the fact you sat Maths early and got the top grade (well done). You've also picked up Further Maths which is key, as I've told so many people. The fact that you have 3 other A-Levels and an achieved grade in Maths which is the main requirement honestly think you'll be fine but you might have an ever so slight disadvantage compared to this year applicants. You'll still mostly get in though.
Hope this helps.
Thank you very much
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thanks
You need to check each university's attitude to resits and taking 3 years to complete your A-levels. But you did that already before applying didn't you?
Last edited by Doones; 2 years ago
P. bateman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
You need to check each university's attitude to resits and taking 3 years to complete your A-levels. But you did that already before applying didn't you?
Yes in regards to resits in general i've been told its not an issue, although obviously not a strength. Think me already having three decent grades at first sitting should means its less of a problem.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes in regards to resits in general i've been told its not an issue, although obviously not a strength. Think me already having three decent grades at first sitting should means its less of a problem.
Uh, that's not what LSE says:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...ns-Information
Retakes Given the competition for places and the nature of assessment at LSE, we prefer students who have achieved high grades in their first attempt (and in one sitting) at relevant examinations. If extenuating circumstances have impacted your exam performance, you should include details of these in your application.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/stud...ions#resitting
Q: Will resitting A Level modules affect my chances of success?
A: Since the Economics Department stipulates that the specified A Level grades should be obtained in the first sitting, applicants who achieve these grades without taking a resit are more likely to be successful.
P. bateman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Uh, that's not what LSE says:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...ns-Information
Retakes Given the competition for places and the nature of assessment at LSE, we prefer students who have achieved high grades in their first attempt (and in one sitting) at relevant examinations. If extenuating circumstances have impacted your exam performance, you should include details of these in your application.
Yes I understand resits are not ideal for any university. However ive spoken directly to the admissions and been told that given i'm only re-taking a single A level it shouldn't massively impact my application. Im here asking to see how much that single re-sit will really effect my application.

I've already spoken to my Universities. I'm asking here to see if anyone has any more information from experience etc.
Last edited by P. bateman; 2 years ago
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes I understand resits are not ideal for any university. However ive spoken directly to the admissions and been told that given i'm only re-taking a single A level it shouldn't massively impact my application. Im here asking to see how much that single re-sit will really effect my application.

I've already spoken to my Universities. I'm asking here to see if anyone has any more information from experience etc.
That's not what you asked in your opening post....

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads