How does the stages and the academic year work at Open Uni?

Watch
fruzsi97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm not from the UK, that might be the reason why it's not clear for me.
I get that 1 stage consists of 120 credits, but what I don't get is the multiple starting dates. If I were to start the first stage in February, would I be finished with the whole first stage (all the 120 credits) by September/October and would I be able to go on the 2nd stage in October or would I have to wait until February the next year? It's confusing for me, because there are only 1st stage courses starting in February, so I guess it'd be logical to be able to start in October, right after finishing off stage 1, but then again, a question arises in me. I saw a 3rd stage module course particularly that only has one starting date, which is in February (that is a project for Natural Sciences) and builds on previously learnt modules. I don't know when modules with an October start finish, but I doubt that it'd be finished by February, so for someone, who is on this route, should they wait for almost a year for this project?

And as for the credits... is there any difference between a 60- and a 30-credits-worth course in their duration?

I hope this question doesn't sound too silly. The academic year over here consists of 2 semesters and there're no modules, plus we have ECTS instead of CATS... I didn't want to write to OU with this question, because it's probably self-explanatory for most
Holmstock
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fruzsi97)
I get that 1 stage consists of 120 credits, but what I don't get is the multiple starting dates. If I were to start the first stage in February, would I be finished with the whole first stage (all the 120 credits) by September/October and would I be able to go on the 2nd stage in October or would I have to wait until February the next year? It's confusing for me, because there are only 1st stage courses starting in February, so I guess it'd be logical to be able to start in October, right after finishing off stage 1, but then again, a question arises in me. I saw a 3rd stage module course particularly that only has one starting date, which is in February (that is a project for Natural Sciences) and builds on previously learnt modules. I don't know when modules with an October start finish, but I doubt that it'd be finished by February, so for someone, who is on this route, should they wait for almost a year for this project?

And as for the credits... is there any difference between a 60- and a 30-credits-worth course in their duration?

I hope this question doesn't sound too silly. The academic year over here consists of 2 semesters and there're no modules, plus we have ECTS instead of CATS... I didn't want to write to OU with this question, because it's probably self-explanatory for most
OU 60 credit courses are expected to take six months if studying full-time or twelve months if studying part-time.

They expect someone studying full-time to devote 32-36 hours of study each week and part-time study to be 16-18 hours each week.
SuperCat007
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fruzsi97)

Firstly. Just ask the OU. They will be able to help.

Secondly the other reply is wrong. October start modules finish with either an exam or final assignment around the end of May-middle of June. February start modules finish in September. This is always the case irrespective of how many credits you study.

Personally I’d start in October because you will have a nice summer break between modules and the year progression will be logical. If you do February start modules then continue with October start modules you will only have a short break between modules. Maybe that won’t bother you, but I found it really tough.

That project module is designed to be taken as the last L3 module. The idea is that you do it alongside your final module for the degree rather than wait a year before doing it. It finishes in September. I did it at the end of my L2 studies to get the degree finished quicker.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads