Cookiielyon88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How do i compare two unseen poems like; Down and out Paddington by Christine Boothroyd and Tramp by Rupert M. Loydell
JodieMS
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Spoiler:
Show
i would also like to know how

(Original post by Cookiielyon88)
How do i compare two unseen poems like; Down and out Paddington by Christine Boothroyd and Tramp by Rupert M. Loydell
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Any comparative literature question means that you will need to be on your game when it comes to structuring your answer. Make sure that each paragraph is therefore clearly signposted with - (a) the element of the poem you are discussing and (b) whether you are suggesting the poems have commonalities or are in contrast to one another. For example: "Both poems present us with depictions of love. In the first poem this theme is dealt with in a romantic way (insert supporting quote) whereas the second poem presents love as a form of suffering (supportive quote)" - so I've shown here the element of the poem we are discussing is the theme (love) and shown that the poems differ in their treatment of this (through the use of the word 'whereas').

You will want to do a very close reading of each poem and give consideration not just to the broad brush (ie rhyme scheme, subject, theme) but also the techniques the poet uses - eg word choice, use of metaphor, alliteration - and what impact these techniques have on the reader. Consider the form the poem takes - is it a sonnet? what kind of sonnet? does this then suggest a particular period in literature to you? You won't be expected to identify the poem (unless it is a very well known one) but you could, in your answer, make a case for why you think the poem may be from the 17th, versus 20th century. Make sure that in answering the question, you give equal attention to both poems. Point up what they have in common, how they differ, and you might also want to suggest in your conclusion why you feel one is more successful than the other. Always use supporting quotes to back up your views. I hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (61)
18.65%
Labour (161)
49.24%
Liberal Democrats (46)
14.07%
Green Party (20)
6.12%
Brexit Party (4)
1.22%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.92%
SNP (7)
2.14%
Plaid Cymru (2)
0.61%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.22%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)