Semester abroad vs. placement year??

Watch
ejidjxisjwkdi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages to both, I know I definitely want to do one but I'm just not sure which one. I was set on doing a semester abroad but I don't know if I'll have enough money to support me (although, it is 2 years away). The problem with doing a placement year is that I don't know where I would start looking. Thank you.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you do a semester abroad then you still get your student loan, and if you go via Erasmus then you will get an Erasmus grant on top of that
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ejidjxisjwkdi)
I was wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages to both, I know I definitely want to do one but I'm just not sure which one. I was set on doing a semester abroad but I don't know if I'll have enough money to support me (although, it is 2 years away). The problem with doing a placement year is that I don't know where I would start looking. Thank you.
Placement year has the most advantage in the sense that you will be gaining a years worth of professional experience, putting you far ahead of other graduates. If your performance is good during your placement year, you may get a full time offer at the end for when you graduate. The advantage of studying abroad is that it'll be a great experience that you'll never have the opportunity for, social wise that is. It's up to you to decide which will benefit you the most.

The best way to look for placement opportunities is through website such as indeed and typing in 'placement year'. Targetjob and ratemyplacement also have lots. Make sure you do research on the industry you're interested in and the roles to see if its for you.
University of Plymouth
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ejidjxisjwkdi)
Hi ejidjxisjwkdi,

I’ve recently graduated from the University of Plymouth and I was so envious of everyone who got to do a placement year. Like kkboyk said above, gaining a years’ worth of professional experience puts you far ahead of other graduates as your CV is that little bit more developed professionally.

However, if a year abroad really interests you then you should go for it – it still looks fantastic on a CV and builds key skills. I actually studied abroad in Spain for 3 months during the summer of my second year. I applied for a Santander Mobility Scholarship through my University which meant I secured over £4,000 to move to Spain for 3 months and enrol in an Intensive Summer Spanish course. I am still so grateful for the opportunity as it changed me completely!

I know that the Santander Universities network extends across the UK – I would definitely enquire with your University’s career service to learn more about it and to see if it’s offered where you are. If it is offered, you could always study abroad during the summer and enrol in a placement year if you really can’t decide between the two

Regardless of what you choose, both years will develop a whole host of new skills and that is really exciting. Let me know if you have any further questions!

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads