Sofighigliani
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hey there. So I’m having some queries with the graph exercise in paper 5. Firstly, the mark schemes are really weird cause they dont tell you which result you are expected to get to so do they just mark the method used? Idk if any of you ever looked at a mark scheme cause idk if you study like that in the uk. Im from argentina and im studying on my own, thats why i need the mark schemes to check what i did. So just in case, heres a mark scheme: https://pastpapers.papacambridge.com..._s17_ms_51.pdf

Appart form that. I have a problem with the y intercept part. I dont know what approximate values I should be getting but sometimes i get really weird values and my method is just fine. Also, they normally tell you to get the y intercept by replacing in the equation which is what I normally do but in that mark scheme i pasted they tell you you can get it by reading it from the graph, dont they? At least thats what I thought they were saying. Id like to know when i can read the intercept directly from the graph so that if i have that situation in the real exam i dont need to use the equation.

Lastly, im a bit worried cause in the syllabus it says something about curved line of best fit but i always had to draw a straight line of best fit. Every time i have a curved line equation i have to convert it into a straight line (using ln for example). What do they mean with a curved line of best fit? Will i ever have to draw that? How would the line of worst fit work in a curved graph?
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Sofighigliani)
Hey there. So I’m having some queries with the graph exercise in paper 5. Firstly, the mark schemes are really weird cause they dont tell you which result you are expected to get to so do they just mark the method used? Idk if any of you ever looked at a mark scheme cause idk if you study like that in the uk. Im from argentina and im studying on my own, thats why i need the mark schemes to check what i did. So just in case, heres a mark scheme: https://pastpapers.papacambridge.com..._s17_ms_51.pdf ....
Did you read the front page of the MS? If no, read the following carefully.

This mark scheme is published as an aid to teachers and candidates, to indicate the requirements of the examination. It shows the basis on which Examiners were instructed to award marks. It does not indicate the details of the discussions that took place at an Examiners’ meeting before marking began, which would have considered the acceptability of alternative answers. ...
So it is not weird that they did not state any result. The examiners would mark the result and method concurrently.

....Appart form that. I have a problem with the y intercept part. I dont know what approximate values I should be getting but sometimes i get really weird values and my method is just fine. Also, they normally tell you to get the y intercept by replacing in the equation which is what I normally do but in that mark scheme i pasted they tell you you can get it by reading it from the graph, dont they? At least thats what I thought they were saying. Id like to know when i can read the intercept directly from the graph so that if i have that situation in the real exam i dont need to use the equation. ...
If you have a problem in knowing whether your answer is right or wrong, you can post in TSR forum to seek the opinion from others. If you have problem knowing whether to read the y-intercept from the graph or use the equation of straight line to find the y-intercept value, you should revise the meaning of y-intercept. It is pretty clear once you understand the meaning of y-intercept.

....Lastly, im a bit worried cause in the syllabus it says something about curved line of best fit but i always had to draw a straight line of best fit. Every time i have a curved line equation i have to convert it into a straight line (using ln for example). What do they mean with a curved line of best fit? Will i ever have to draw that? How would the line of worst fit work in a curved graph?
A curved line of best fit can mean straight line or curved line. A curved line may be applied in paper 3 or paper 5 but they are unlikely to ask you to draw the worst fit curved line.

An example of a curved line of best fit would look like graphs shown in the following websites. https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...kes-law/280357
http://hookeslawexperimentkf4g14.blogspot.com/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads