difference between business law and normal law at uni?

Watch
nicolesm1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
which degree needs higher grades?
which pays the most?
which course is longer?
could i be a corporate lawyer with business law?

ty
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I assume you are talking about the difference the general LL.B. and an LL.B. Business Law degree that a small selection of uni's offer.

(Original post by nicolesm1)
which degree needs higher grades?
Within the same university, the entry requirements are usually the same for the LLB and LLB Business Law. Where there is a difference (e.g. De Montford), the latter is slightly lower.

which pays the most?
The difference between these two streams is usually just one of available elective modules. Future earnings won't be affected by one choice over the other in the same uni.

which course is longer?
Both are usually the same. 3 years, although some may offer a placement year.

could i be a corporate lawyer with business law?
As long as its a QLD, it won't make any difference. By the time you graduate, qualification as a solicitor will have changed anyway. Any degree will be sufficient.
BFG9000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
to get QLD you have to do 7 specific subjects, that takes about two years so schools offer some optional modules, business law, family law, IP or something like that.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Business law has the 7 core modules and the remaining modules are business law.

Ordinary law has 7 core modules and the remaining modules are whatever you like to study (including business law modules).

Latter has more flexibility; I would go with it.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
What Notoriety said.
Some simple research and a comparison of the course structure would have revealed the difference.
Imo its unlikely that there are modules on business law that arent available on the straight law degree. Examination of course structure will show you the differences if any.
nicolesm1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Business law has the 7 core modules and the remaining modules are business law.

Ordinary law has 7 core modules and the remaining modules are whatever you like to study (including business law modules).

Latter has more flexibility; I would go with it.
so does it make more sense just to do a business law degree if you want to go into that area(e.g. corporate law) because then you're not doing irrelevant modules OR does it look better to lawyers if you've done the "full" law?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so does it make more sense just to do a business law degree if you want to go into that area(e.g. corporate law) because then you're not doing irrelevant modules OR does it look better to lawyers if you've done the "full" law?
I don't think you read my post. I have explained that you will do 7 core modules on both courses; then the remainder (your optionals) will be all business law on business law LLB or a mix of business law and other law on an ordinary LLB. You can do as much corporate law on an ordinary LLB as a business law LLB.

And it doesn't work like that. No one is going to respect either more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.1%
I'm not sure (27)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (190)
31.51%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.16%
I'm not a current university student (288)
47.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise