Warning about accomodation in Edinburgh Watch

unicurse
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Just a heads up, to any mature students or people who're hoping not to live in halls whilst they're studying here: it is nigh on impossible to get rented accommodation unless you have someone with a large income willing to act as a guarantor for you.

The estate agencies won't accept student loans as acceptable income, and most won't even accept a retired guarantor even when they own property.

I've almost finished the first semester but still have no permanent place to live and my studies have suffered so badly I'm likely to have to retake two out of my three modules this summer.

Normally I'd not consider the quality of a city when thinking about a job or university place but Edinburgh is a weird one... If you must come here as a mature student ensure you've allowed yourself several months before you start to do your house hunt, because it's an absolute nightmare.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by unicurse)
Just a heads up, to any mature students or people who're hoping not to live in halls whilst they're studying here: it is nigh on impossible to get rented accommodation unless you have someone with a large income willing to act as a guarantor for you.

The estate agencies won't accept student loans as acceptable income, and most won't even accept a retired guarantor even when they own property.

I've almost finished the first semester but still have no permanent place to live and my studies have suffered so badly I'm likely to have to retake two out of my three modules this summer.

Normally I'd not consider the quality of a city when thinking about a job or university place but Edinburgh is a weird one... If you must come here as a mature student ensure you've allowed yourself several months before you start to do your house hunt, because it's an absolute nightmare.
That is sad to read. Doesn’t the university help with non-university housing? Surely, there is a service for those who choose to move to the private sector.
Student Roost
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience with finding accommodation in Edinburgh!

I'm happy to say we have three properties in Edinburgh designed specifically for students and in close proximity to the university. We are also happy to house you with other postgraduates if this is something you would prefer, and we don't ask for rental payments until student loans come through.

If you're interested, feel free to have a look at our properties below!

https://www.studentroost.co.uk/locations/edinburgh
Evonium
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Did you apply for halls? I'm in halls this year, which meant I didn't have to worry about accommodation. But next year I guess I'll be in the same situation... Not sure what I'll do...
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I can back this up, 10/10.

Spent a few months looking for a room, but at the same budget as University halls in the first year, I only found a few, and most were taken by other students/professionals. As far as actually renting an entire flat goes, loans/grants aren't looked on well by agencies. You'd be hard pressed to find somewhere to rent as nice as the halls in the first year of University for a similar price/quality ratio. The hunt continues for a place to rent, and it gets quite a bit easier toward the winter seemingly!

Thank heavens for relatives who have a spare flat... though the *electric* shower leaks. I'd hate to have to commute to Edinburgh to go to University (Manchester is a long way to go :_

(Original post by Evonium)
Did you apply for halls? I'm in halls this year, which meant I didn't have to worry about accommodation. But next year I guess I'll be in the same situation... Not sure what I'll do...
Cliche to say, but have faith and rent it with other friends. The Uni hosts one of those "Meet and Greet" or so-and-so that you can meet up with other random folks in the same situation and rent a place with them. I'm quite sure that agencies that rent flats aren't happy with individual students due to concerns about funding and such, but when you rent collaboratively with multiple students that concern is less, since the statistical odds of all the folks renting the place dropping out are a lot lower and the risk to them is minimised. Either way, yeah, you get what I'm trying to say c;
sinsine
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Does it mean that accommodation is not guaranteed beyond the first year? Even for international students?
Weelouise
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you are trying to stick within the centre then yes, you will struggle. Have you tried looking a little further out from the centre?
unicurse
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Weelouise)
If you are trying to stick within the centre then yes, you will struggle. Have you tried looking a little further out from the centre?
I ended up moving into a house owned by a fellow student and her partner out in Gorebridge about ten miles out. It's an hour commute into and back from Appleton Tower every day, which is where I'm mostly based, but it's worked out ok. It's not a permanent thing so I'm going to have to go through the same thing again at some point in the near future.

Forget trying to find anything in Edinburgh itself. It's horrifically overpriced, the flats are tiny and for every viewing you attend you can expect between six and twelve other groups of people viewing the same place.

I'll be looking to find somewhere out of the city again as you've suggested. I've got a long term girlfriend and we don't really want to share with other people if at all possible, but finding a place here is an absolute nightmare.
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Student Roost)
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience with finding accommodation in Edinburgh!

I'm happy to say we have three properties in Edinburgh designed specifically for students and in close proximity to the university. We are also happy to house you with other postgraduates if this is something you would prefer, and we don't ask for rental payments until student loans come through.

If you're interested, feel free to have a look at our properties below!

https://www.studentroost.co.uk/locations/edinburgh
Choose our 51 week tenancy and move in from 7th September.

The total cost of your room will be £13,719.00

That's £269.00 a week for 51 weeks
L0L i can get a mortgage for that
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
L0L i can get a mortgage for that
Yup.

Private halls cost silly amounts in our city
Weelouise
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by unicurse)
I ended up moving into a house owned by a fellow student and her partner out in Gorebridge about ten miles out. It's an hour commute into and back from Appleton Tower every day, which is where I'm mostly based, but it's worked out ok. It's not a permanent thing so I'm going to have to go through the same thing again at some point in the near future.

Forget trying to find anything in Edinburgh itself. It's horrifically overpriced, the flats are tiny and for every viewing you attend you can expect between six and twelve other groups of people viewing the same place.

I'll be looking to find somewhere out of the city again as you've suggested. I've got a long term girlfriend and we don't really want to share with other people if at all possible, but finding a place here is an absolute nightmare.
Wow that is quite far out. I live in Edinburgh, born and bred. If you need any help with areas, just give me a message.
Xanimede
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why not stay in the halls?
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Xanimede)
Why not stay in the halls?
Accommodation is not guaranteed beyond first-year. Unless you have a disability or other needs then you simply won't get a room in halls.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I never really fancied living in Edinburgh, took one look at the housing market 'nope' I commute through from Glasgow which certainly isn't ideal, but its like £350pm rent vs £1000, no brainer...
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
I never really fancied living in Edinburgh, took one look at the housing market 'nope' I commute through from Glasgow which certainly isn't ideal, but its like £350pm rent vs £1000, no brainer...
ScotRail? :eek3:
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
ScotRail? :eek3:
Nah LNER CrossCountry, fast, nice trains, cheaper
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Nah LNER CrossCountry, fast, nice trains, cheaper
Nice
babyshsn786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Weelouise)
Wow that is quite far out. I live in Edinburgh, born and bred. If you need any help with areas, just give me a message.
Hi id like to know popular student areas for private accomodation, hmos , flats etc snd typical cost Per room
babyshsn786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi read your post , know someone who is interested in student private accomodation. Not from Scotland so would like yo know names of ateas , postcodes that sre close to the University that are student areas . Also the typical rent for room / flat thanx.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (13)
15.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (6)
6.98%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (16)
18.6%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (11)
12.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (11)
12.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (29)
33.72%

Watched Threads