Life Hack Golden Thread - Your worst nightmare landlord experience

Watch
Spirithorse
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Tell us your nightmare landlord experiences... how did you deal with it?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Spirithorse)
Tell us your nightmare landlord experiences... how did you deal with it?
I think the worst landlord experience I've had is when the knob on the cooker broke and the washing machine broke,in a fully furnished flat and the landlord said it wasn't a life or death situation so in the end we sent our notice in because we weren't getting anywhere. We also had one house that had mould in the bathroom and eventually we had a hole in the kitchen ceiling so we took photos before we handed the keys back in and kept our call histories so we could say that they had reported it, in the end the agent agreed with us about leaving over it. Feel so fortunate that although its a scary responsibility now we have our own place we can fix things whenever we need.
Criminalis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Never had a landlord, but I want to enter this golden thread competition soooo
PurpleHills
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Landlord refused to deal with maintenance issues we had informed him about for over three months. They were minor issues but it had been almost 3-4 months since we had reported them, and we followed up on them regularly. Eventually when he was ready to do some house viewings, we just refused to let anyone in to view the house (so he couldn’t get new tenants). He came quick to fix up the house then!
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Passive aggressive texts implying I didn't clean enough (which I probably don't to be fair)
britishvip
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not really a landlord as i am in halls, but my heater blew up and they bought maintenance in and the man laughed at me and said i shuld know that its meant to do that (???) and then he flirted with me and called me the prettiest person in the accomdation, keep in mind hes 50 fat and bald lol
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
slumlord a couple yrs ago.

mould
rodents/insects
illegals (my romany neighbours were disgusting in all ways)
faulty plumbing

just a bad area overall as well but not their fault yet their property added to the general slum of the neighbourhood, meanwhile they're living somewhere exotic in the south think it's new quay
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've had plenty of nightmare landlords over the last 5 years.
The "all bills inc" charlatans who tried to make me pay nonstop extras including their bills, even council tax for a house I'd never even visited.
The food police who banned dairy, meat or alcohol from being consumed in the property.
The creepy ones who never called to organised a visit but always seemed to be lurking around the property after dark, standing in odd places.
One grubby little pervert who kept inviting himself over at dinner time, went on about how his wife didn't understand him and hinted he'd let all three of us girls off rent in exchange for "a friendly arrangement".
The greedy one that charged extra for every little thing, fitted in half a dozen utility pre-pay meters- then tried billing me an extra £80 for a monoxide detector and £150 to change a light bulb.
The slumlords renting out illegal shoeboxes with no windows, leaking lofts and converted garages with no power.
The loft slumlord was the very worst; dark, dingy and with rainwater leaking down on me whenever it rained. The leaking roof always soaked my bedding, ruined a laptop and destroyed most of my handwritten notes.

Just coped until the end of tenancy term or for as long as I could, then moved out.
Usually had to fight hard for months to get my deposits back.
gracielyons15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Threatened to stop paying
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The landlord who didn't arrange for the plumber to come out for the boiler so we had no hot water for over 4 weeks. It was the 4th time the boiler had broken down in 3 months.
muthalganesan18
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Had a landlord increase the rent and told me to get out if I didn't want to pay. We had a verbal agreement so I the police wouldn't help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (97)
10.73%
Lack of purpose or motivation (112)
12.39%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.87%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (49)
5.42%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (100)
11.06%
Financial worries (62)
6.86%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.54%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.19%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (87)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (74)
8.19%

Watched Threads