Johnni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi
I'm applying for a masters for this Sept and just found out my 'insurance' uni will not run the course in Sept 2008:eek:
Anyway i will apply to Heriot-Watt for Flood Risk Management however it states it runs the course jointly with Glasgow. On the Glasgow uni page it states

'Formal teaching takes place at each campus on only one day/week. A free chartered coach is provided for the 45 minute journey'.

Does that mean that each week i have only 2 day of lectures (1 at each uni).
Personally i would prefer a campus based uni, although Glasgow has a better reputation i went to a city based uni before and hated it.
Is there much of a gap in terms of academic reputation between HW & Glasgow then.
I'm not the sort of person to go out clubbing/drinking each night (need to work aswell:p: ) but would like a good social scene etc so has HW got a good SU and things to do to entertain yourself.
lifeisadream89
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
i went over 2 c HW at the start of the month and loved it. im planing to go in sept 2 study french/spanish translating and interpreting so i dont really know much about ur course lol soz. but the campus is great, everything is on campus, halls, lectures, studnt union wich i thot was gr8 and also sports facilities. in regards to going out i think the student association av themed nights so u wouldnt always need 2 go into edinburgh, plus im sure their will b plenty of people who dont want 2 b clubbing all the time.
Johnni
Rep:
?
thx for the reply, thought no one was going to!.
I might go and visit the campus in a few weeks time. Prefer the campus style than inner city tbh. Plus 1st yr postgrads are guranteed accomodation so thats a plus.
Do you know if there was a bus service from the campus to Edinburgh city centre?
thisisrubbish
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Glasgow does have a better reputation.

The land around Heriot Watt is lovely and if you like campuses it certianly does feel like a community.

However,Glasgow is definatley a better uni and Heriot Watt is really ridiculously far out of town. I also think some bits of the Campus are a bit grotty but that could be just me and I expect you can say the same for most unis.
thisisrubbish
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There is a campus bus service to city centre, btw.
Johnni
Rep:
?
(Original post by sweetest-downfall)
Glasgow does have a better reputation.

The land around Heriot Watt is lovely and if you like campuses it certianly does feel like a community.

However,Glasgow is definatly a better uni and Heriot Watt is really ridiculously far out of town. I also think some bits of the Campus are a bit grotty but that could be just me and I expect you can say the same for most unis.
I am tempted to put down Glasgow instead of HW but i would prefer a campus based uni as i will be living there. Glasgow does have a better rep but it's not that drastically different i feel than HW.
thisisrubbish
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
At the moment in the newest rankings (Independant) Glasgow is 16, and Heriot Watt 49 so there is fair difference. Also because Heriot Watt is a former polytechnic and Glasgow is an old uni Glasgow has a better rep overall.

However, again, Glasgow isn't a campus uni and if that's what you like better then that should definately be a factor. It have to say I do like the fact there are actually live rabbits running about the grassy bits of Heriot Watt!
lifeisadream89
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
ye, if u think about it all unis have their good and bad poits and ultimately its gotta b down to what ur more comfortable with!
i was stuck between Bath and HW for languages, both are campus unis, Bath has a better reputation but ultimately the degree at HW was better and it is a nice uni.
yes it is far out of town, about 30-40 mins by bus, but there are buses all the time so you're never stuck, and you say you're not the sort of person to go out drinking and clubbing all the time then at least at heriot watt you're out of the way a little so can stay focused without the temptation of just dandering into town lol.
i hope you reach a decision soon
and as for reputation, i really dont know what they jugde that on, i dont think its important, what i think is important is that u get the best degree you possibly can at watever uni u go 2
Johnni
Rep:
?
(Original post by sweetest-downfall)
At the moment in the newest rankings (Independant) Glasgow is 16, and Heriot Watt 49 so there is fair difference. Also because Heriot Watt is a former polytechnic and Glasgow is an old uni Glasgow has a better rep overall.

However, again, Glasgow isn't a campus uni and if that's what you like better then that should definately be a factor. It have to say I do like the fact there are actually live rabbits running about the grassy bits of Heriot Watt!
I had a look on the Guardian ranking for civil engineering and HW was 22nd and Glasgow as 36th, quite surprised by that!. I think reputation is not as important as many believe it to be. Having done my undergrad already i feel a department and lecturers that give a monkey's about the student is more important that facilities etc as i did'nt really get that where i was.

I must have given the impression that i am some hermit as i don't want to go out each night lol, just don't enjoy clubs as much as pubs/gigs really.
30/40m bus ride ain't that much to me as long as i ain't driving and the buses run late enough
I'll probably put HW as my 2nd choice behind Southampton lifeisadream89 but then that could all change when i go visit the campus in the next few weeks
Gryffprefect
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Heriot-Watt actually isn't a former polytechnic, it's a Glass Plate university. It was granted it's university status in 1966 and is in fact the 8th oldest higher education institute in the UK . Being a student that considered both Heriot-Watt and Glasgow when applying last year, I visited both of them. For some reason I didn't like Glasgow the moment I stepped into the place and neither did my mum. I just found that it wasn't for me and I'm glad I visited it because I was considering making it my firm. In many ways Glasgow is very much a city university.
However, when I visited Heriot-Watt I fell in love with the place. The Campus is really beautiful and it has a good reputation for my course. The academic staff showing me around were really lovely and helpful, and they were really enthusiastic about their subject. And true you will like the Heriot-Watt campus atmosphere but getting to the city centre is easy too with 25 and 34 lothian buses going to and from the campus about every 15 minutes. I feel you sort of have the best of both with good isolated campus but good access to the city centre. Also you wont be living on campus all the time you are there, from 2nd year and beyond most people live in the city and commute in on buses. Sure there are some bad things about Heriot-Watt but there are bad things about every university.
Although I may be a bit biased with Heriot-Watt since I go there but I'm just telling you the story from my perspective.
Johnni
Rep:
?
Gryffprefect - would you know which halls are for postgrads?. On the site it says all 1st yr postgrads are guranteed a place but there seems to be little rooms available on the site to suggest that.
I think Leonard Horner Hall & Lord Home Hall is for postgrads but thats it.
I'm just trying to find a cheap flight now as 6 hrs on a train travelling to HW does'nt appeal to me lol.
Gryffprefect
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Johnni)
Gryffprefect - would you know which halls are for postgrads?. On the site it says all 1st yr postgrads are guranteed a place but there seems to be little rooms available on the site to suggest that.
I think Leonard Horner Hall & Lord Home Hall is for postgrads but thats it.
I'm just trying to find a cheap flight now as 6 hrs on a train travelling to HW does'nt appeal to me lol.
Those halls are meant to be for postgrads, but usually you'll find that quite a few 1st year students get put into those halls too (usually Leonard Horner more than Lord Home Hall). I also think that George Burnett Hall is for Postgrads and there are quite a few postgrads that get put into Lord Thomson Hall and the self-catering flats.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Edinburgh Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 8 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (85)
68.55%
No I haven't decided yet (23)
18.55%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.9%

Watched Threads