How do you find a summer internship!!?

Watch
harrypotter&tea
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So people has always told me that "EVERYONE gets an internship in the summer before their third year of uni", but I'm really struggling to find anything. I do an essay based degree, nothing to do with maths or science so I have to rule out any accountancy/engineering internships which is what they all seem to be. Im worried that I won't get anything and that no one will hire me after third year because of my lack of experience. I don't know what career I want to go into but I'm interested in fashion/publishing/television those kind of industries (basically the hardest ones to get into). Can anyone give me any advice on how to find an internship in this sector or how to get work experience. How can I stand out to these employers? Did all of you do an internship before you completed uni? Plz help
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by harrypotter&tea)
So people has always told me that "EVERYONE gets an internship in the summer before their third year of uni", but I'm really struggling to find anything. I do an essay based degree, nothing to do with maths or science so I have to rule out any accountancy/engineering internships which is what they all seem to be. Im worried that I won't get anything and that no one will hire me after third year because of my lack of experience. I don't know what career I want to go into but I'm interested in fashion/publishing/television those kind of industries (basically the hardest ones to get into). Can anyone give me any advice on how to find an internship in this sector or how to get work experience. How can I stand out to these employers? Did all of you do an internship before you completed uni? Plz help
Go to your careers service and see an advisor, they can then show you what resources they have.

Its up to you to start sorting yourself out and make up your mind what career areas might interest you and what internships are out there. It doesnt have to be a formal internship it could just be work experience. You still need to start thinking about life post uni and that means research and using google or the careers library. You can do accountancy with any degree. Start putting regular time into sorting out your career every week.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't have to rule out accountancy/finance type internships, they are available to you as someone studying an essay based degree.

I would also say that the number of people who do internships is highly exaggerated, it's largely done like this to encourage more people to apply and thus get them.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by harrypotter&tea)

Summer internship are very competitive (in particular at big companies), and only a few manage to land one since there are limited amount of space and MANY people applying per space. The first thing you should do is to pick a sector you're interested in, and then having a look at jobs in that sector that seem to interest you. Once you do that, have a look at big companies and see what they offer you (their early career website); read all their documents and watch the videos they provide as its very informative about what the role entails. Afterwards, learn the application process and tailor your cv to ensure your abilities align with what they're looking for (it doesnt matter if you dont have much experience, just try to sell yourself as much as possible).

You can use website such as indeed, monster, targetjobs, rate my placement, graduate talent pool (they include internships). Also your subject is irrelevant for most, they are more interested in what skills you have and yo having an interest for the job. Even if you fail to get summer internship you can do a full time job over the summer such as fundraising or even volunteering for example, which is just as valuable.

I got rejected to all the summer internships I've applied to, but managed to get 8months worth of experience in Finance by asking around (local companies) to see if they have opportunities during term time. Most will happily provide an opportunity for you if you ask properly, and at the right time.
Last edited by kkboyk; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (449)
56.48%
I don't have everything I need (346)
43.52%

Watched Threads