The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nikkio008
Hey, is anyone else still waiting on a response from ScotGEM? I’m getting anxious now (Irish applicant btw)

Heya I'm from Ireland too! I got my invite on Mon - have you rang/emailed them at all? Have you definitely met all the criteria (i.e. 2:1, gamsat & UKcat SJT and completed the supplementary application)? If so, best bet is to ring/email them. Best of luck!
Original post by msksquared
Clinical skills sounds daunting - what kinds of things did you have to do??

Oh it was not assessed they say that to you as its just your interview and they just show you what clinical skills you get to do in Medical School
Has anyone received confirmation of their interview? I wrote back to confirm the interview they offered me straight away but no confirmation email back from them as of yet. Very worried as I just realised that the deadline to confirm is Monday! Will send them another email now.
Original post by Joe2Jonas
Oh it was not assessed they say that to you as its just your interview and they just show you what clinical skills you get to do in Medical School

Phew !!!
Was it in a big hall and you go station to station or separate rooms? And was there any writing tasks or are you just talking at each station? Were you permitted to use the bathroom/ take a drink of water etc. ?
Thanks for your help!
Original post by SNíChallanáin
Phew !!!
Was it in a big hall and you go station to station or separate rooms? And was there any writing tasks or are you just talking at each station? Were you permitted to use the bathroom/ take a drink of water etc. ?
Thanks for your help!

Bare in mind Cardiff is different from ScotGEM completely
You go to a room where they give you a talk about ScotGEM remember the University wants to convince you to choose them for their first choice as well
They probably do some cute ice breaker
I can not talk specifically about Cardiff station but if you done MMI practice course or done MMI before you will know the feel of what they are looking for in any MMI interview in terms of you got a specific amount of time in that room to answer the question and specific amount of time to read it outside the question
The task you have to do varies from uni to uni and what quality they look for in a doctor
You are allowed to bring medication if required with you and I am sure ScotGEM will allow water at rest station
Original post by ella_mai
Does anyone who's got an interview mind me asking what your stats are (degree/GAMSAT)? I didn't apply this year because I had applied last year with a rubbish GAMSAT and was rejected, but if i'm unsuccessful in getting into the one undergrad course i've applied to i'm going to apply to ScotGEM for 2020 entry, the program sounds heavenly to me!

Mine was 60:64:55 overall 59. As you can tell no science geek. Sjt band 1 tho :wink: . I have non science background but took biol and chem just recently to qualify. Also trying to do a masters in psychology
Original post by CouCou22
Has anyone received confirmation of their interview? I wrote back to confirm the interview they offered me straight away but no confirmation email back from them as of yet. Very worried as I just realised that the deadline to confirm is Monday! Will send them another email now.

Thank God I saw this. I very nearly didn't confirm the interview! I was obviously too excited to get one! I got an out of hours reply just now. It said Mon to Thurs were the opening hours so maybe that's why.
Original post by Manicbex
Thank God I saw this. I very nearly didn't confirm the interview! I was obviously too excited to get one! I got an out of hours reply just now. It said Mon to Thurs were the opening hours so maybe that's why.

Ok now I'm really worried - I haven't even gotten an out of hours reply and I've sent 2 emails :O Did you reply directly to the email that was sent giving us our date and time for interview? I didn't - I sent a new email to the [email protected] separately, as that's what it said to do in the email. Maybe this is where I'm going wrong?!
Ok now I'm really worried - I haven't even gotten an out of hours reply and I've sent 2 emails :O Did you reply directly to the email that was sent giving us our date and time for interview? I didn't - I sent a new email to the [email protected] separately, as that's what it said to do in the email. Maybe this is where I'm going wrong?!

Don’t panic! Just give them a call on Monday, whenever I have spoken to them on the phone and by email they have been really helpful. I sent a confirmation email yday to the email in the email and got an out of hours reply but that’s just because the office is closed on a friday and over the weekend
Original post by julietbutler12
Don’t panic! Just give them a call on Monday, whenever I have spoken to them on the phone and by email they have been really helpful. I sent a confirmation email yday to the email in the email and got an out of hours reply but that’s just because the office is closed on a friday and over the weekend

I can't ring them you see - I'm in Lithuania at the moment on holiday and my phone doesn't allow for landline calls. I'm really worried because I haven't even gotten an out of hours reply - did you reply directly to the email offering you your date and time for interview?
I can't ring them you see - I'm in Lithuania at the moment on holiday and my phone doesn't allow for landline calls. I'm really worried because I haven't even gotten an out of hours reply - did you reply directly to the email offering you your date and time for interview?

No I’m pretty sure I replied to the email that was in the text of the email (to be honest I thought they were the same email). But it can’t hurt sending another :smile:
Original post by julietbutler12
No I’m pretty sure I replied to the email that was in the text of the email (to be honest I thought they were the same email). But it can’t hurt sending another :smile:

I just replied directly to the original email. Still no out of hours reply. I need to figure out a way to ring them or else I'm really in trouble :frown:
I just replied directly to the original email. Still no out of hours reply. I need to figure out a way to ring them or else I'm really in trouble :frown:

Just confirmed attendance and got an out of hours reply. Could it be going into your spam folder?
Original post by SNíChallanáin
Just confirmed attendance and got an out of hours reply. Could it be going into your spam folder?

So I emailed from my gmail account and instantly got an out of office reply - phew! So that's what it was - my hotmail account didn't appear to be receiving out of office replies (nothing in my spam folder either!).
Good luck everyone!

I'm applying next year, and like someone else said, I'd be interested in hearing how you faired in the GAMSAT and any relevant work experience you might have.

GL!
Received confirmation of acceptance of Interview date and time today.

And for those asking above for GAMSAT I got 66/68/57, ScotGEM doesn’t double weight science so overall 64 for them

And I am from a very specific science based background so found the broadness of the science paper in the GAMSAT challenging :smile:
Original post by oligosynaptic
Good luck everyone!

I'm applying next year, and like someone else said, I'd be interested in hearing how you faired in the GAMSAT and any relevant work experience you might have.

GL!

Good Luck for next year!! I got 54 overall with 49/62/52 with a UKCAT SJT of Band 3. My work experience is hands on work experience in HCA, shadowing a respitatory registrar, hands on work experience doing history and clinical examinations with doctors
I think ScotGEM Questionaire really played a role with the application process
Where is correct information I could access about Scotland Healthcare system and the difference between NHS Scotland and NHS England/Wales?
Original post by oligosynaptic
Good luck everyone!

GL!

Good luck for next year! :smile:
I'm an eu applicant, have 58 based on SCOTGEM GAMSAT calculations (No double weight for section 3) band 1 SJT, 2.1 BSc from Trinity College Dublin and I work as a Senior intestinal failure dietitian and previously worked with Macmillan (So lots of mdts, ward rounds and joint consultant clinics) and then just some extra shadowing palliative care.

I got a reply today did you?

Latest

Trending

Trending