The Student Room Group

Midiwombatz grows her grades! (GYG Blog)

M I D I W O M B A T Z G R O W S H E R G R A D E S

Well heya everyone!

My name is Rachel or Rae and I'm trying not to fail year 11.

I take these subjects, of which I am aiming for an 8 in each.

Spoiler

I want to be a doctor when I get older so GCSEs are kind of important, also my parents are smart and I don't wanna disappoint them

I am also pretty sporty, and I play roller hockey anywhere between twice and five times a week, I've been skating since I was 4.

This is going to be a bumpy ride and I'd love to have you guys long on it with me!!
N O V 0 6

So today we had a pretty packed day, Tuesday is the first day of the week that requires real thought
We had: Maths, Finance, Double English, IT, Double Psychology

Most of these lessons were just revision as we have a two week mock block (ooo that rhymes nicely) that begins next week, but in math we covered the cosine trigonometry rule which was not fun as I don't enjoy rote learning equations.
Double English we spent the lesson looking at how to plan our modern novel essays and how to write a good introduction and conclusion.
It was revision of using dreamweaver and double psychology was a really tiresome revision lesson.

Tonight I'm going to do some more focused English revision, looking at some of the characters in my 19th century novel (great expectation) and make some mindmaps on possible questions that could come up that are character based. I'm also going to make up some mock language papers that use extracts from great expectations.

Tomorrow is my birthday so I can't promise it's going to be the most productive day of this GYG blog.

If you want to added to the tag list just shout and you'll go straight on.
N O V 0 7

it's my birthday today!!

But I had some really dreary lessons.
More psychology revision first then biology where we learnt about adaptations, there's a truly beautiful song on youtube about a camel.
Then I had more finance revision, which we kind of just messed around on a shared spreadsheet the entire lesson.
Then we had more biology with some fieldwork working with quadrats looking at mean average coverage of plantain.
Then we had english which we looed at the structure and content of poetry comparison essys.
Finally we had double IT

I've got hockey tonight so won't be able to do any studying but will be able to eat cake and skittles and have a good time with some good mates.
Reply 3
Good luck!! :rave:
N O V 0 9

So today was nother stunnigly interesting day of revision, as well as looking back at a chem assessment we did yesterday.

Over the weekend I would like to complete some physics mindmaps and learn some quotes for english as I have mocks over the next two weeks. If anyone has any other revision tips (other than flashcards which I personally don't get along with) then please let me know.

I'm going to go shopping tomorrow and if you want to see what I get then feel free to go on and head over to my winter wellness page!!

See you guys!
Original post by midiwombatz
N O V 0 9

So today was nother stunnigly interesting day of revision, as well as looking back at a chem assessment we did yesterday.

Over the weekend I would like to complete some physics mindmaps and learn some quotes for english as I have mocks over the next two weeks. If anyone has any other revision tips (other than flashcards which I personally don't get along with) then please let me know.

I'm going to go shopping tomorrow and if you want to see what I get then feel free to go on and head over to my winter wellness page!!

See you guys!

For learning quotes, I use a mix of getting my mum to help me and using Quizlet (which is a free website, if you've never used it before)

Quizlet is great because it will keep coming back to the ones you get wrong until you know them.
DEC 0 3

So it's been a month, I have mock results back

Biology - Looking strong for an 8+ or 9. Still TBC
Chemistry - 8+
Physics - 7
English Literature - 6- (not happe but whatever, it's probably repairable
English Language - TBC
Maths - 9 (by 1 mark)
IT - A*
Psychology - 8+

Note that many of the teachers that gave an 8+ were refusing to give a 9. I may have got a 9 in both chemistry and psychologyw ith the marks I got. The teachers just didn't want me to get ahead of myself.

We haven't really donea nything interesting in the month that has passed, just mocks and feedback.
Reply 7
Oh my goodness! Those grades are amazing!! :woo:
Thankyou so much! There are people that are better but I'm pretty happy
Reply 9
Thankyou so much! There are people that are better but I'm pretty happy

Don't put yourself down :nah: At this point, there's still time to get them up if you want to :yep: and don't compare your grades to others :nah: you're you and they're them :yes:
DEC 0 3

Soooo I got my English Language results back and I got a 9.

Lately I've been really struggling to decide what I want to do in 6th form. I have equal amounts of pros and cons for both doing an IB and for doing four A levels. And even if I could decide which of these programmes to follow, I don't know what subjects I would take. There would be one in each group (4th A level, 4th HL) that I really can't decide what to do.

We've been told we're sending off UCAS applications on Monday and I'm still really confused, and scared that I'm going to make a decision I regret.

Any one have any good tips?
OMG well done with English Lang!! :woo:
It depends on which one you would feel better doing. Would you like to do a broad range of subjects or just 3 or 4 that you really like?
DEC 0 3

Soooo I got my English Language results back and I got a 9.

Lately I've been really struggling to decide what I want to do in 6th form. I have equal amounts of pros and cons for both doing an IB and for doing four A levels. And even if I could decide which of these programmes to follow, I don't know what subjects I would take. There would be one in each group (4th A level, 4th HL) that I really can't decide what to do.

We've been told we're sending off UCAS applications on Monday and I'm still really confused, and scared that I'm going to make a decision I regret.

Any one have any good tips?

Which subjects are you really passionate about?

If you have fewer subjects that you want to delve really far into, then I would go for A-levels.

If you would like to get a slightly shallower knowledge but of a broader range of subjects, then IB. Remember that IB has a lot of extra aspects too - are the creativity, volunteering, physical etc. things that you already do? Or will you have to add them into your schedule?
Original post by LeapingLucy
Which subjects are you really passionate about?

If you have fewer subjects that you want to delve really far into, then I would go for A-levels.

If you would like to get a slightly shallower knowledge but of a broader range of subjects, then IB. Remember that IB has a lot of extra aspects too - are the creativity, volunteering, physical etc. things that you already do? Or will you have to add them into your schedule?

I already do the CAS stuff. One benefit of the IB would be I could still study Spanish but I couldn’t do music which I do really love
Original post by nyxnko_
OMG well done with English Lang!! :woo:
It depends on which one you would feel better doing. Would you like to do a broad range of subjects or just 3 or 4 that you really like?

Thank you, I like the breadth of the IB but I would be able to achieve that with A levels (The plan was two sciences maths and either Psychology Music or English Comb)

Thank you, I like the breadth of the IB but I would be able to achieve that with A levels (The plan was two sciences maths and either Psychology Music or English Comb)

It's up to you, really :redface:
I have no idea how the IB system works but I *think* you have to take 4-5 subjects? :dontknow: and there's core subjects as well so personally, i would never survive that because i despised english at GCSE and to have to take it further is just :afraid:
and yes, you can achieve the breadth of subjects with A-levels as well, but I also feel like there's a lot more work you have to put in for essay subjects, compared to just sciences. and correct me if i'm wrong but the depth of each subject you cover at A-level is supposedly more than IB as well, so that could be something to consider :yes:
and i guess something else to think about is whether you are better at coursework or exams :redface: As far as i know, A-levels are mostly exams, unless you're talking English/humanities/arts and idk about IB but I've heard it's more coursework based?
anyways, have fun deciding :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending