Difficulty with withdrawing during study abroad period Watch

ThirstyToaster
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi everyone, I've had a bit of a nightmare with student finance recently and any help would be much appreciated.

I was supposed to begin the academic year 2018/19 by studying abroad for one semester (August-December 2018) in the USA. I arrived at my study abroad university at the beginning of August, but due to ill-health I returned back to the UK on 30th August and subsequently decided to withdraw from university on health grounds.

Whilst abroad, I received an early maintenance loan payment on the 20th August of £30222.78, and was previously paid a grant payment of £870.60 to help with travel and insurance costs.

Due to the timing of my return, when my university informed student finance of my withdrawal, they processed my withdrawal as falling in the 2017/18 academic year which I completed fully and said I was overpaid £730 which is incorrect.

I have had a lot of backwards and forwards communication with student finance and the university as student finance can't accept what I say and need 'official' confirmation from my university. It has been calculated wrong several times. My university processed another change of circumstances with student finance and informed them my withdrawal was 2nd October (I assume to be within the date range of academic year 2018/19 as 30th August was causing problems and making student finance think I withdrew in 2017/18).

My questions are as follows:

1. If I was paid on the 20th August but still a student until the 30th August, shouldn't 10 days of student finance be calculated as entitled and therefore the repayment for the first instalment would be less than £3222.78?

2. Why does my first instalment of 2018/19 (£3222.78) and the grant (£870.60) need repaying now instead of being added on to an overall repayment when I earn above the threshold? Does the grant even need to be repaid?

3. If I am planning to continue studying next year at a different university but the same course and start from year 2 instead of starting the course again, does this also affect repayment now and make me eligible to repay these payments when I earn above the threshold?
Stuart SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by ThirstyToaster)
Hi everyone, I've had a bit of a nightmare with student finance recently and any help would be much appreciated.

I was supposed to begin the academic year 2018/19 by studying abroad for one semester (August-December 2018) in the USA. I arrived at my study abroad university at the beginning of August, but due to ill-health I returned back to the UK on 30th August and subsequently decided to withdraw from university on health grounds.

Whilst abroad, I received an early maintenance loan payment on the 20th August of £30222.78, and was previously paid a grant payment of £870.60 to help with travel and insurance costs.

Due to the timing of my return, when my university informed student finance of my withdrawal, they processed my withdrawal as falling in the 2017/18 academic year which I completed fully and said I was overpaid £730 which is incorrect.

I have had a lot of backwards and forwards communication with student finance and the university as student finance can't accept what I say and need 'official' confirmation from my university. It has been calculated wrong several times. My university processed another change of circumstances with student finance and informed them my withdrawal was 2nd October (I assume to be within the date range of academic year 2018/19 as 30th August was causing problems and making student finance think I withdrew in 2017/18).

My questions are as follows:

1. If I was paid on the 20th August but still a student until the 30th August, shouldn't 10 days of student finance be calculated as entitled and therefore the repayment for the first instalment would be less than £3222.78?

2. Why does my first instalment of 2018/19 (£3222.78) and the grant (£870.60) need repaying now instead of being added on to an overall repayment when I earn above the threshold? Does the grant even need to be repaid?

3. If I am planning to continue studying next year at a different university but the same course and start from year 2 instead of starting the course again, does this also affect repayment now and make me eligible to repay these payments when I earn above the threshold?
Hi,

There's quite a lot going on there and some things we wouldn't be able to answer accurately as they are very specific to your application. Any overpayments need to repaid as soon as possible. Only funding that you were entitled to would make up your repayment balance. You would enter repayments the April following the withdrawal but you would only actively start repaying when you earned over the threshold.

In terms of what information we've had from the university, how that's affected the application and if there's anything we can do to resolve any issues we would need to access your account.

We can't do that via this forum so you can give us a call on 0300 100 0607. Or send us a message on Facebook or Twitter and we can start to look into this with you.

Regards,
Stuart
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.69%
The paper was reasonable (1176)
54.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (469)
21.64%
It was TERRIBLE (182)
8.4%

Watched Threads