Major freak out about Alevels and Uni!!!!

Watch this thread
TragicGrades101
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have absolutely no idea what to do anymore for my Alevels, before I was confident with choosing Economics, Gov and Politics and either Business or Philosophy. But now I know that a majority of the top unis for Economics (I want to study this in uni) want a Maths A level and my grades for maths are inconsistent - at times I do very well and other times I get a horrible grade

I feel like even if I do end up getting the grade for maths A level, I will still struggle in college as I saw some of the questions in past papers and I'm already worried about it. I'm willing to work hard and revise hard for it but if it confuses me a lot then I'm not sure what I'll do. I was considering PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics) but I feel like that course would only be really beneficial if I do it at a specific uni Please help as I have NO idea what Alevels I want to do and of course, I have to pick them so they fit well with my uni course too invade some unis have specific Alevel requirements Thank you!!
CSLady
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Hey TragicGrades101, first of all great that you are looking at University requirements before you start your A Levels. The number of people that get to applying and realise they have taken the wrong A levels 🙁.

If you think you need Maths I would discuss it with the Maths teachers at your school and see if they think you could cope. Don’t look at exam questions when choosing a course because the whole point is that you learn how to answer them. If you could answer them straight away then it wouldn’t be an A level (brainiacs will disagree but oh well). Look at universities you may want to go too (you could even go to some open days) and see what A levels they require in common. Basically you want to keep your options as open as possible.

I think the best steps:
- Breath it’s great you are looking at course choices while choosing A Levels
- Look at unis you could see yourself going to or you find the course interesting and their requirements
- Discuss maths at A level with your maths teachers they may be able to advise you and support you in making your grades more consistent

I wish you the best and hope that you find a solution that works for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads