Holocaust trial: Germany tries former SS guard at Stutthof camp Watch

Spirithorse
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A former SS guard has gone on trial in Germany accused of complicity in mass murder at a Nazi death camp during World War Two.

Identified as Johann Rehbogen, the 94-year-old served in the Stutthof camp in what is now northern Poland from June 1942 to September 1944.

He denies knowing anything about atrocities committed there.
Because he was not yet aged 21, he is being tried in a juvenile court in Münster, western Germany.

The former guard, who uses a wheelchair, faces a sentence of 15 years if convicted but is unlikely to serve any time in prison because of his advanced age.

What do you think about this? Should he serve the time in prison?

Read the full story here
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yay, we found someone on the verge of dying to try him in court.

he was an ss guard, he would not be allowed to refuse orders, would you risk getting shot? and not conducive to justice based on little evidence to accuse a guard of aiding mass murder of his own wish.

More important things to do, than trying people who may die tomorrow, especially in these cases.

The things the Nazis did during the Holocaust did were absolutely horrific and a black stain on the history of humanity, but I don't think trying a 94 year old is the way to progres..
BFG9000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sending him to prison is an obvious death sentence. You cannot sentence people to do death in the EU... so that's why he is not going there.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
Yay, we found someone on the verge of dying to try him in court.

he was an ss guard, he would not be allowed to refuse orders, would you risk getting shot? and not conducive to justice based on little evidence to accuse a guard of aiding mass murder of his own wish.

More important things to do, than trying people who may die tomorrow, especially in these cases.

The things the Nazis did during the Holocaust did were absolutely horrific and a black stain on the history of humanity, but I don't think trying a 94 year old is the way to progres..
Have to wait to see what the court says about the specific charges against him. He is unlikely to face any jail time so I think its right he is held to account for his role in the operation of a camp where 60,000 people died.

Its important for the relatives of those whose parents and grandparents were murdered.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Have to wait to see what the court says about the specific charges against him. He is unlikely to face any jail time so I think its right he is held to account for his role in the operation of a camp where 60,000 people died.

Its important for the relatives of those whose parents and grandparents were murdered.
yeah i understand what you're saying, the relatives of those affected may be going through a lot right now..

but still don't think trying a 94 yr old, and a guard, is the way to mend the wounds of the past or to progress.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
yeah i understand what you're saying, the relatives of those affected may be going through a lot right now..

but still don't think trying a 94 yr old, and a guard, is the way to mend the wounds of the past or to progress.
He was part of it.

Thats for the relatives to decide. They get a voice to remind someone who took part what they did and for other people to listen to what they experienced.
Its taken them a long time to get round to prosecution but the defendant claims he didnt know what was going on which sounds pretty unbelievable if 60,000 people were murdered there. The trial is his sentence, although theres s till the chance he is found innocent.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
He was part of it.

Thats for the relatives to decide. They get a voice to remind someone who took part what they did and for other people to listen to what they experienced.
Its taken them a long time to get round to prosecution but the defendant claims he didnt know what was going on which sounds pretty unbelievable if 60,000 people were murdered there.
True, he did aid the machine which killed so many.

guess, we'll have to see what the trial throws up before deciding....
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sure i've said before, I don't feel people who didn't live in that time should have any say or real opinion about how it's resolved, what could we possibly add of value? (beyond virtue signalling by forgiving people that we were never a victim of of course)
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
not interested. what a lax futile gesture :yawn:. in all honesty...i think we should just move on from the holocaust thing. it's over, the nazi occupation is over, hitler's passed, the jews are fine, can we seriously stop. plus...the neo-nazis that i know now, dont like muslims. it's now about islam more than jews.
Last edited by Bang Outta Order; 1 year ago
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What a disgusting show trial - he wouldn't even serve time if found guilty.

It's basically "let's find the last ones so we can make ourselves look good". Horrible virtue signalling.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yudothis)
What a disgusting show trial - he wouldn't even serve time if found guilty.

It's basically "let's find the last ones so we can make ourselves look good". Horrible virtue signalling.
Agreed. It's more about moral posturing than actually achieving anything. Plus he was a just grunt. There's also a part of me that suspects these trials might not be particularly impartial.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (241)
66.21%
No (123)
33.79%

Watched Threads