The Student Room Group

Describe a time you developed a relationship with a vulnerable adult?

This is a competency based question for an application I'm putting in for a Fast Track scheme into Social Work - the scheme assumes no prior knowledge of work in this field, and is aimed at non-healthcare related graduates.

How can I evidence this, if I have never actually managed, led, or being involved in building rapport with a vulnerable person?

I mean, in context within a health care facility probably not, but perhaps ive managed and led groups of vulnerable people in work on the odd occasion (depending on your definition of vulnerable).

I've volunteered myself a Course Representative at University in the Union, and i generally help people out a lot and have a lot of compassion, but the difficulty is in evidencing it.

How can I slant this to my benefit without having worked in a mental health unit or volunteered?

I am about to start volunteering, mainly to build up some experience, as a talking point for assessment centre - but I have to complete the application now.
Original post by royal1990
ive managed and led groups of vulnerable people in work on the odd occasion (depending on your definition of vulnerable).

I'd focus on the nearest thing you've got, which if I understand correctly is this bit above and talk about all the key empathy/practical considerations. Ignore the fact they might not have been technically 'vulnerable' in the way the scheme you are applying to defines the term.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
I'd focus on the nearest thing you've got, which if I understand correctly is this bit above and talk about all the key empathy/practical considerations. Ignore the fact they might not have been technically 'vulnerable' in the way the scheme you are applying to defines the term.

I have also done student union work as a Course Rep, where I have represented students views (on sometimes very confidential terms).

I guess I could spin that to my advantage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending