Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys,

Im in my second year and I'm contemplating on leaving Medicine. I really don't know where to begin. Before I started Medicine, I was dead set on it as a career and during the application process I began to doubt myself and I did speak to other professionals E.g pharms/optoms
But they didnt appeal to me. I did the work experience and sent a week shadowing doctors and I really enjoyed it. The doctors, on the other hand, said how they weren't enjoying it and wished they did something else.

I guess since I started uni, I didn't really settle in and found it difficult to adjust and make friends. That has improved since I started. Academically I've been doing well and its tough but I have passed comfortably.
I finding it really difficult to keep on top of the work this semester as the difficulty has increased.

A part of me is scared of actually being a doctor, the amount of responsibility and the amount of moving around and instability involved. I dont know if my MH has played a part in this and I havent been feeling too great. Has anyone else been in the same position and what advice would you give?

I really dont know whether its worth dropping out and doing a different general degree like biology or going into Law as I enjoyed it at A Level.

That's not to say I haven't enjoyed Medicine but I'm finding it really hard and there are days where I wish I took a gap yr out before uni to suss things out before rushing into a life long career
tommyvercetti
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey there,
From me experience, this is quite a common thing to feel, especially in pre-clinical years when the workload and difficulty of the course ramps up. It sounds to me your biggest issues are keeping up with the workload, and beign scared of the responsibility you'll have once you graduate. All that really matters is if you still have the passion to still do medicine, I mean, you applied because part of you wants to help others right? If that's still there, then my advice would be to keep on keeping on, and work hard to maintain your grades/whatever until clinical years which are a totally different experience to years 1&2. You might find that you're very passionate about the practical, clinical stuff involving real patients which could completely change your opinion around. Plus getting some clinical experience might quell the feeling of this massive responsibility you'll have, because you'll actually know what to do about certain conditions, so it becomes less daunting.

Regardless, you should focus on your mental health, and have a good supportive social life because I'm sure others at your uni are feeling/have felt the same way at some point, so talking through this stuff might help. All I'm saying is, 1st & 2nd years aren't representative of medicine, and definitely not representative of being a doctor.
Idk if I just rambled on, but I hope this helps you in finding your way.
hslakaal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any degree, be it medicine or not, will always have people who may regret or feel like they have chosen the wrong course. Ultimately, no one can tell you what is right for you - only you can decide that for yourself. What I do want to say is that in most universities, it's not a decision between carrying on and dropping out. You can always interrupt your studies for a year, to catch some breath, gather your thoughts etc.

And do discuss this with your tutor/advisor. They will definitely have some advice, especially if they are from a non-medical background. They can also signpost you to your university's support services.

Hang in there buddy.
MonteCristo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is very common. You are not trapped in medicine and you do not have to work as a doctor after medical school. There is no shame in choosing to move into science (e.g. a PhD), law (the one-year Graduate Diploma in Law), or anything else. JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs, and Google have all snapped up former colleagues of mine. You are not wasting any time at medical school either - a medical degree will always have additional currency above and beyond other three year honours degrees.

If you are distressed for other reasons (making friends, workload, etc) then - yes - seek advice from tutors and welfare staff. Just don't feel trapped in medicine because you aren't...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (4)
40%
No I don't (5)
50%
I work during the holidays (1)
10%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise