The Student Room Group

Bored/unhappy in my special school placement

Hi,

I feel bad for saying this.. but it is my first placement as a student nurse and I've been put in a special school. It should be noted that I did a BA Primary Education degree but left teaching due to it giving me depression.. I'm now in a school taking a sort of TA role, and have been placed 1:1 with a non-verbal child (who is a beautiful soul, I love him dearly) but it means I can't really have conversations with him and his schedule basically requires him to have playtime every 15-30 minutes so I often have to make sure he doesn't wander and doesn't get into harm as he isn't aware of his surroundings nor can he recognize danger. Sometimes I just feel like more of a nanny.

I love the children.. but I can feel my depression coming back. Education just isn't for me anymore.. does this mean I'll be a bad nurse? I've never been on the wards before but I thought to myself "If I could take the children from my class and put them on a ward, would I be happier?" and the answer is yes. I just don't like being in schools.. any advice? :frown: I know all I can do is suck it up. I suppose I'm just looking for support.
It’s one short placement which is intended to give students an insight into caring for healthy children with learning disabilities, you may have already experienced this, but many have not and the experience is valuable to them. Make the most of the time you spend with this child, maybe consider with him being non verbal how would you notice that something was wrong with them. Ask if you could spend time with other kids, be open with the people who are mentoring you and see if they can help tailor your experience on placement for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending