What Powers Should Police and Crime Commissioners Have?

Watch this thread
ScottishBrexitor
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I propose the following to improve the role of Police and Crime Commissioners, essentially making them more on par with elected Sheriffs in the Untied States:

* PCCs should retain the power to appoint and dismiss Chief Constables, set targets for the police force, make policing plans and control their own budget

* The Crown Prosecution Service should be reconstituted as a set of local Crown Prosecution Offices answerable to the PCC for their success in securing convictions with the PCC having the power to order a prosecution to be dropped and be responsible for supervising sentenced criminals

* There should be Local Offender Management Services accountable to the local PCC which would have a local purchaser-provider split

* Each Local Offender Management Service acting on behalf of the PCC should be responsible for purchasing space in prisons and other disposals such as probation and community punishment regarding local wishes, criminals should serve their sentence whether in prison or not under the authority of the PCC in the area they committed their crime

* The PCC should have the power to set local sentencing guidelines giving voters a voice in what categories of crime to prioritise within their jurisdiction

* PCCs should be introduced in Scotland with Police Scotland broken up into 13 policing divisions (Argyll & West Dumbartonshire, Ayrshire, Dumfries & Galloway, Edinburgh, Fife, Forth Valley, Greater Glasgow, Highlands & Islands, Lanarkshire, North East Scotland, Renfrewshire & Inverclyde, Tayside, The Lothians and Scottish Borders) with their own directly elected PCC like with police forces in Engand and Wales. The Scottish Police Authority should also be scrapped in favour of local PCCs

Who agrees?
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Here's a thought. Why don't we implement law and order based on evidence of what works? Every politican is happy to announce that prison works when pilot after pilot of alternatives disprove such measures at every step of the way.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
None. They’re bloody stupid.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Here's a thought. Why don't we implement law and order based on evidence of what works? Every politican is happy to announce that prison works when pilot after pilot of alternatives disprove such measures at every step of the way.
How does prison not work? Unless they escape, they can’t commit crimes.

Evidence lead policing is generally the opposite of what liberals want. Racial profiling is evidence lead 😂
ScottishBrexitor
Rep:
(Original post by Davij038)
None. They’re bloody stupid.
Elected Sheriffs in the USA work very well, they should be more modeled on that. They are also better than the previous local Police Authorities which were more expensive.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
None.

ACAB.
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
How does prison not work? Unless they escape, they can’t commit crimes.
True - but whilst in prison they are homing their skills and forming networks with other criminals. Unless you are blind, you will be aware of the idea that whole criminal networks and operations are being organised and run from inside prisons. And then, the moment most come out of jail, within a very short space, more crime has been committed and the whole process gets repeated. Prison - for the majority - doesn't work. It is a simple fact. Nothing to do with liberalism.

What are we trying to achieve? Giving work to prison officers / courts and police, or reduce crime? Prison does not reduce crime, nor does it provide a deterent for hardened offenders. For many it is an easy way out - three square meals a day and not having to worry where you are going to sleep for the night.
username2861570
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I reckon they should have super speed
ScottishBrexitor
Rep:
How about instead of having PCCs we get rid of them and instead elect Chief Constobles?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.71%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.14%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (19)
16.96%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (27)
24.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.54%

Watched Threads