Maria247x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have been asked to interview for English Literature and Creative Writing, and I was wondering how a Creative Writing interview would be structured? What kind of questions would be asked?

Any help would be much appreciated - thank you!
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Maria247x)
I have been asked to interview for English Literature and Creative Writing, and I was wondering how a Creative Writing interview would be structured? What kind of questions would be asked?

Any help would be much appreciated - thank you!
There is obviously a relationship between the two disciplines, and you should make that connection. You may be asked, for example, what writers you feel are influences on your writing. And you should be prepared to explain this in detail, and defend your choices. For example if you are a woman, and you are referencing all male writers, is this realistic, or are you just reading too narrowly? You may be asked to talk about writers you admire which you feel you reference in your writing, and how you do not mimic them. You should be very aware that you cannot be a writer unless you are a reader first, so you should have done some reading beyond your A Levels/undergraduate reading.

You may be asked about your writing aspirations, what you have written already, what you aspire to write, and why. You may be asked about how you actually work (do you draw from life, keep diaries, plan your work out before you write etc) or what you feel your strengths and weaknesses are as a writer. You may also be asked what you expect from the course, and how you react to critique of your work.

Having a strong sense of what you intend to write is really helpful. Being able to explain this in terms of other (respected) writers is also important. "I intend to write a memoir about my teenage years. This would be something similar to Mary Karr's work, although I intend to deal with this in a more post-modernist way, by doing this and this, similar to David Foster Wallace's work in his short stories...etc"
Maria247x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much - that was really helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34%
No (493)
66%

Watched Threads