Can I get into these Universities? Watch

NzTnMa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm in year 12 and I haven’t yet got predicted grades, expecting to be set the target of A* A*/A A*/A (English language, Economics and Maths respectively).
At GCSE I got:
English Language-9
English Literature-9
History-9
Maths-8
Geography-8
Biology-8
Art (Fine Art)-8
French-7
Physics-7

I'm been thinking of applying to places like LSE, UCL and Warwick for Economics. However, I’ve been researching and it seems these universities are extremely hard to get into after seeing acceptance rates, particularly LSE.

Do I have a shot at getting into these universities given my GCSEs? And if so, what can I do to give myself more of a chance of receiving an offer?
Thanks
Last edited by NzTnMa; 8 months ago
Ghost_0
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You do have a shot, I think a fairly good one at that. Without further maths and only 3 a levels, i think LSE would be the hardest to get into, especially for straight econ, LSE's flagship course.
You can prepare by doing some research on things to write for your personal statement. Make a note of any essay competitions that you can attempt, my recommendation would be the one by John Locke institute or the Marshall society.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
let me guess, you want to work in investment banking right?
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by NzTnMa)
I'm in year 12 and I haven’t yet got predicted grades, expecting to be set the target of A* A*/A A*/A (English language, Economics and Maths respectively).
At GCSE I got:
English Language-9
English Literature-9
History-9
Maths-8
Geography-8
Biology-8
Art (Fine Art)-8
French-7
Physics-7

I'm been thinking of applying to places like LSE, UCL and Warwick for Economics. However, I’ve been researching and it seems these universities are extremely hard to get into after seeing acceptance rates, particularly LSE.

Do I have a shot at getting into these universities given my GCSEs? And if so, what can I do to give myself more of a chance of receiving an offer?
Thanks
You're on-track for Oxbridge too.
NzTnMa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ghost_0)
You do have a shot, I think a fairly good one at that. Without further maths and only 3 a levels, i think LSE would be the hardest to get into, especially for straight econ, LSE's flagship course.
You can prepare by doing some research on things to write for your personal statement. Make a note of any essay competitions that you can attempt, my recommendation would be the one by John Locke institute or the Marshall society.
Oh right thanks, that’s quite helpful
NzTnMa
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
let me guess, you want to work in investment banking right?
I was thinking about it originally but I’m not fully set on it at the moment, I’ve been thinking about other options as well such as going into corporate banking.
NzTnMa
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
You're on-track for Oxbridge too.
Oh right thanks, I didn’t even consider Oxbridge because I thought I wouldn’t be good enough and I’m addition I’m not even taking F.Maths.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Oh right thanks, I didn’t even consider Oxbridge because I thought I wouldn’t be good enough and I’m addition I’m not even taking F.Maths.
It's not required.
NzTnMa
Rep:
?
It's not required.
Oh right ok, I just thought most people applying for such a competitive course, especially at Oxbridge, would be taking the subject, which would put me at a disadvantage due to not taking it.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Oh right ok, I just thought most people applying for such a competitive course, especially at Oxbridge, would be taking the subject, which would put me at a disadvantage due to not taking it.
You stand a chance - iff you apply.
Presence
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
same situation as u are in x
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
The Oxford course is less mathsy than the Cambridge/LSE courses.

Given that you don’t have FM, you’d therefore be better off applying to Oxford - you’d have a good chance.
NzTnMa
Rep:
?
You stand a chance - iff you apply.
Oh ok, thanks.
NzTnMa
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
The Oxford course is less mathsy than the Cambridge/LSE courses.

Given that you don’t have FM, you’d therefore be better off applying to Oxford - you’d have a good chance.
Oh right, thanks I’ll think about it.
ctkcheng
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
With your grades, you can give it a shot.
If you would really like to get into LSE, focus on your personal statment as they prefer applicants with personal statements that are tailor made to their course and they prefer 100% content on academics. Good Luck! I am now waiting for an offer from LSE and Cambridge for Geography.
BasicMistake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Cambridge and LSE will be more of a struggle to get into due to the lack of Further Maths.

Oxford is worth giving a shot and for Warwick and UCL I think you've got a really good chance.
NzTnMa
Rep:
?
(Original post by ctkching)
With your grades, you can give it a shot.
If you would really like to get into LSE, focus on your personal statment as they prefer applicants with personal statements that are tailor made to their course and they prefer 100% content on academics. Good Luck! I am now waiting for an offer from LSE and Cambridge for Geography.
Ah ok, thanks that’s really helpful, I’ll make sure to remember that.
NzTnMa
Rep:
?
(Original post by BasicMistake)
Cambridge and LSE will be more of a struggle to get into due to the lack of Further Maths.

Oxford is worth giving a shot and for Warwick and UCL I think you've got a really good chance.
Yeah that’s what I’d been thinking, and thanks I’ll think about maybe attempting to get into Oxford now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (127)
19.54%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (62)
9.54%
No I am happy with my course choice (368)
56.62%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed