EPQ, To do or not to do?

Watch this thread
SudanesePrince
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ok, so EPQs are about to begin in my sixth form. And I'm not sure if it is something I should divert effort in order to do.

I am already doing 4 subjects which take up large amounts of time, my "frees" in my timetable are no longer existent because of the volunteering I do in school and I do a fair bit of volunteering outside of school in order to pursue medicine.

I'm stretched pretty thin already with things likely to get harder. Is the EPQ something I would be making a mistake not to do, despite how difficult it may be to do it. I'm sure if I found an idea I could do it, but I don't want to do something that may not even help me that much.

What complicates things further, is I have no idea what I could do for my EPQ, I had a few ideas:

Creating a text-based game paired with a short essay on the importance of crafting games to serve as a form of media that contributes to society, culturally and intellectually.

An exploration of how emperor Justinian of the Byzantines law code effects all modern western law codes.

An exploration of how mastery-based learning can revolutionise education.

And finally an exploration of human demographic growth and its effect on both the planet and human societies.

But upon testing, all my ideas crashed and burned. Being too wide, unresearchable or in the case of the game, overwhelming in terms of both creating an engaging story and implementing interactive mechanics.

I am targeting medicine so I don't even know if an EPQ would be useful, as medicine is such an oddball when it comes to applications.

Many thanks in advance,

The Sudanese Prince,
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SudanesePrince)
Ok, so EPQs are about to begin in my sixth form. And I'm not sure if it is something I should divert effort in order to do.

I am already doing 4 subjects which take up large amounts of time, my "frees" in my timetable are no longer existent because of the volunteering I do in school and I do a fair bit of volunteering outside of school in order to pursue medicine.

I'm stretched pretty thin already with things likely to get harder. Is the EPQ something I would be making a mistake not to do, despite how difficult it may be to do it. I'm sure if I found an idea I could do it, but I don't want to do something that may not even help me that much.

What complicates things further, is I have no idea what I could do for my EPQ, I had a few ideas:

Creating a text-based game paired with a short essay on the importance of crafting games to serve as a form of media that contributes to society, culturally and intellectually.

An exploration of how emperor Justinian of the Byzantines law code effects all modern western law codes.

An exploration of how mastery-based learning can revolutionise education.

And finally an exploration of human demographic growth and its effect on both the planet and human societies.

But upon testing, all my ideas crashed and burned. Being too wide, unresearchable or in the case of the game, overwhelming in terms of both creating an engaging story and implementing interactive mechanics.

I am targeting medicine so I don't even know if an EPQ would be useful, as medicine is such an oddball when it comes to applications.

Many thanks in advance,

The Sudanese Prince,
Well, an EPQ would always be a plus, as I know some uni's (Birmingham I think) lower the requirements grades if you have an A in the EPQ; I don't know about medicine though.

However, getting lower predicted grades and actual grades etc. Isn't worth an EPQ. It isn't a requirement on anything, Also, it isn't worth spreading yourself thin, especially if it'd take a lot of time you would use to revise, have fun etc.

Although, if you think you can handle it, it'd be a plus to your personal statement and a good thing to talk about in an interview.

Good luck!
SudanesePrince
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
Well, an EPQ would always be a plus, as I know some uni's (Birmingham I think) lower the requirements grades if you have an A in the EPQ; I don't know about medicine though.

However, getting lower predicted grades and actual grades etc. Isn't worth an EPQ. It isn't a requirement on anything, Also, it isn't worth spreading yourself thin, especially if it'd take a lot of time you would use to revise, have fun etc.

Although, if you think you can handle it, it'd be a plus to your personal statement and a good thing to talk about in an interview.

Good luck!
Thanks for the aid,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (18)
16.82%
The paper was reasonable (48)
44.86%
Not feeling great about that exam... (30)
28.04%
It was TERRIBLE (11)
10.28%

Watched Threads