The Student Room Group

UCAS teacher's reference

Hi, so I'm applying for undergraduate Physics. I have talked about everything I've done for Physics in my personal statement, meaning I don't have many physics related things left over for my teacher to put in my reference (only some maths tutoring I've done and good marks in exams) - what's left over is just biology related (my 3rd A level) so is it ok for this to be in my reference?
Original post by LUCY1402
Hi, so I'm applying for undergraduate Physics. I have talked about everything I've done for Physics in my personal statement, meaning I don't have many physics related things left over for my teacher to put in my reference (only some maths tutoring I've done and good marks in exams) - what's left over is just biology related (my 3rd A level) so is it ok for this to be in my reference?

Your teacher should be writing your reference. It (and your PS) isn’t just a list of achievements. It should be a discussion of your attitude towards learning, your interests in your subjects and how you are to teach.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Your teacher should be writing your reference. It (and your PS) isn’t just a list of achievements. It should be a discussion of your attitude towards learning, your interests in your subjects and how you are to teach.

I know - I'm showing my passion for the subject using things I've done as evidence e.g. readings, summer schools. And my teacher has asked for a list of things we've done that he can talk about and expand upon.
I know - I'm showing my passion for the subject using things I've done as evidence e.g. readings, summer schools. And my teacher has asked for a list of things we've done that he can talk about and expand upon.

There’s no reason that they can’t talk about the same activities and interests mentioned in your PS. They will have a different perspective to you.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
There’s no reason that they can’t talk about the same activities and interests mentioned in your PS. They will have a different perspective to you.

Yes but isn't it better to use the reference as a 2nd personal statement in the sense that you get your teacher to talk about the things you couldn't fit in your personal statement - instead of just repeating it.
Yes but isn't it better to use the reference as a 2nd personal statement in the sense that you get your teacher to talk about the things you couldn't fit in your personal statement - instead of just repeating it.

No. Your reference is in no way a second PS or an overflow. It’s a space for your teachers to give an honest explanation of you as a pupil. If your reference talks about seeing the impact a summer school had on your motivation and work ethic that isn’t repeating content from a PS - it is using those topics to discuss your studies from the perspective of someone teaching you.

There’s some information that is better in a reference than a PS (mitigating circumstances, disrupted study) but that because the reference is not a PS.

Quick Reply

Latest