The Student Room Group

Millikans Oil Drop

Hi on the last page of this link https://www.physics.uci.edu/~advanlab/millikan.pdf

it tries to explain how to calculate the error but i don't understand it could someome please explain ? I have already done the experiment and got my results.

this is what it says in the link below

Here’s an alternative suggestion Find a charge that when divided into each one of your measured
charges gives a result within an error bar or two of an integer for each and every charge. The
smallest charge you measure or the smallest difference between two charges should be a good
candidate for the number to divide by. If you’ve done a good experiment this will work. Next you
want to dither that divisor around just a little to minimize the sum of the square of the differences
between the each division result and the integer nearest it. Measure the distance to each nearest
integer in units of the error in the division result. (This is minimizing χ2 with respect to divisor.
Look back at P50 something.) The largest such number you can find is your value of e.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest