The Student Room Group

Univesity is it worth it?

I currently have no maths GCSE and no college experience. Im 18 and working a full time steady job that could end up giving me around 30-35k a year by the time im 25. How ever i dont really like the job and i have only been doing it for 4 months and i have been thinking about turning to education doing something i like. But not sure about putting 2 years into a college course and then getting put in debt when im at University.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous04088
I currently have no maths GCSE and no college experience. Im 18 and working a full time steady job that could end up giving me around 30-35k a year by the time im 25. How ever i dont really like the job and i have only been doing it for 4 months and i have been thinking about turning to education doing something i like. But not sure about putting 2 years into a college course and then getting put in debt when im at University.

It depends on what career/job you want to go into.
For certain jobs, uni is worth it, for others, uni may not be particularly worth it.

Have you looked into apprenticeships?
only go if need it for industry even so see if can go via an apprenticeship. no its not worth the money bottom line so only go if you need to. dont go cos uni life seems fun. u can experience the same thing without the debt its basically just living with some good ppl in a flat share, going on the odd night out, and making some effort to meet new ppl via clubs
Reply 3
fucc no
Reply 4
How the raaass did u get 'a full time steady job that could end up giving me around 30-35k a year by the time im 25', whats ur job cus i need 1 like that g :biggrin:DD.
I'd stick to your job tbh, you already have a good paying job.
Original post by Anonymous04088

I am currently in my first year of university however I have done a lot of research on this myself. Overall, degrees aren't as valuable as they were 15+ years ago simpily because more people than ever now have at least a bachelors degree - most graduates will be earning 20k-30k after they graduate which is the same wage as you would get without university. The biggest benefit is the long term aspects of getting a degree - job progression is much easier in more proffessional jobs (still not easy) so you theoretically could be earning £40k+ in 5-10 years after graduation, however this is obviously not guarenteed. Of course, some jobs simpily require a degree so if you want more doors to open then a degree is a safe bet.
Overall, if youre looking at it from purely a money perspective, university is a bit of a gamble as there is no guarentee you will end up in a job that pays more than someone in a job that requires no degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending