Can i still go to uni if im only doing 2 alevels and a one year btec ??

Watch
purple123456789
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
first year of a levels did not go well for me AT ALL . i was going through some stuff anyway as a result of this i was strongly advised to drop one of my subjects and take on a one year btec course. i honestly feel so ashamed . is there any chance of ANY uni excepting me if i have 2 a levels and a one year level 3 btec???
***i am also taking a gap year and wondering if its possible to complete my btec AS business to an A level ? would that be a better idea? do i enroll back into my same college next year or do i just apply and show up for deadlines.??
any advice would really be appreciated
Last edited by purple123456789; 1 year ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by purple123456789)
first year of a levels did not go well for me AT ALL . i was going through some stuff anyway as a result of this i was strongly advised to drop one of my subjects and take on a one year btec course. i honestly feel so ashamed . is there any chance of ANY uni excepting me if i have 2 a levels and a one year level 3 btec???
***i am also taking a gap year and wondering if its possible to complete my btec AS business to an A level ? would that be a better idea? do i enroll back into my same college next year or do i just apply and show up for deadlines.??
You were given good advice.
All unis would accept 2 A levels and 1 BTEC Diploma or extended certificate.
You may also be able to submit an extenuating circumstances claim., depending what went on.

Felling ashamed is misguided and there is no shame for doing a BTEC. Oxford and Cambridge accept them so dont worry.
They are not accepted for particular courses like Medicine.

This bit doesnt make sense " possible to complete my btec AS business to an A level ?"

Its either one or the other.

If you have only done half a BTEC or an AS level then its possible to study further and take the full A level or convert the btec from a certificate into an extended certificate. That may require further tuition, so you will need to clarify what it is you expect to have at the end of the year and whether you need a fuller qualification. You then need to id how you will learn it. Talk to your teacher. It is something you would need to sort out with the school/ college. They may or many not let you proceed to a year 14 .
purple123456789
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi thanks for replying, when i said "possible to complete my betc AS business to an A level" i meant to say because i am doing what is stated as Business - BTEC Level 3 Certificate (1-year AS equivalent) this is all from my knonwlege coursework. so by the end of exams i would have completed 2 alevels and a BTEC level 3 certificate (1 year). ideally i would like to complete my btec AS AND EXTEND IT TO A2 in one year as it is all coursework and does not really require tutution and i am fairly ahead of work and find it very easy. i go to a small college which only goes up to year 13 i dont think i have ever heard of a year 14. if i were to extend my btec into a two year qualification how would you advise i do so because my college does not go further than year 13.
(Original post by 999tigger)
You were given good advice.
All unis would accept 2 A levels and 1 BTEC Diploma or extended certificate.
You may also be able to submit an extenuating circumstances claim., depending what went on.

Felling ashamed is misguided and there is no shame for doing a BTEC. Oxford and Cambridge accept them so dont worry.
They are not accepted for particular courses like Medicine.

This bit doesnt make sense " possible to complete my btec AS business to an A level ?"

Its either one or the other.

If you have only done half a BTEC or an AS level then its possible to study further and take the full A level or convert the btec from a certificate into an extended certificate. That may require further tuition, so you will need to clarify what it is you expect to have at the end of the year and whether you need a fuller qualification. You then need to id how you will learn it. Talk to your teacher. It is something you would need to sort out with the school/ college. They may or many not let you proceed to a year 14 .
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
hi thanks for replying, when i said "possible to complete my betc AS business to an A level" i meant to say because i am doing what is stated as Business - BTEC Level 3 Certificate (1-year AS equivalent) this is all from my knonwlege coursework. so by the end of exams i would have completed 2 alevels and a BTEC level 3 certificate (1 year). ideally i would like to complete my btec AS AND EXTEND IT TO A2 in one year as it is all coursework and does not really require tutution and i am fairly ahead of work and find it very easy. i go to a small college which only goes up to year 13 i dont think i have ever heard of a year 14. if i were to extend my btec into a two year qualification how would you advise i do so because my college does not go further than year 13.
If you have 2 A levels and a BTEC cert that often wont be enough. Unis usually require 3 or equivalent.
BTECs are really hard to do outside an organised environment with someone to mark the coursework. You should ask if you are still in year 13 if you can double up to a BTEC extended cert so you have an A level otherwise its of limited value and very hard to upgrade.

You could use the gap year to do an A level. Tbh with the BTEC if you knew you were only going to get the cert, then you could have done AS in an A level and taught yourself the other half or maybe you should have asked to do a one year BTEC diploma which = 1 A level.

2 +0.5 is not going to be enough in a lot of places, when 3 is required. It might be enough to get on a course with foundation year, but the half of a qualification/ btec would have made a big difference. There isnt an easy way round.
hd...
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At least you are doing a levels apparently i'm too late to go to sixth form even though i'm starting year 12 smh...
Lucky987
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had such a combination as well (Btec subsidiary diploma + 2 A levels) and I know many others who did, so you should be fine!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15.49%
I'm not sure (11)
2.99%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (127)
34.51%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.63%
I'm not a current university student (167)
45.38%

Watched Threads