Calculus question

Watch this thread
12345username
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A boat is held by a bow line that is wound around a bollard 4 metres higher than
the bow of the boat. If the boat is drifting away at the rate of 8 metres per minute,
how fast is the line unwinding when the bow is exactly 20 metres from the bollard?
how do i do this question
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 12345username)
A boat is held by a bow line that is wound around a bollard 4 metres higher than
the bow of the boat. If the boat is drifting away at the rate of 8 metres per minute,
how fast is the line unwinding when the bow is exactly 20 metres from the bollard?
how do i do this question
Let x be the horizontal distance from the bow to the bollard. Now derive an equation for the length of (infinitely taut) line from the bow to the bollard. Differentiate that to get its rate of change.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 3 years ago
12345username
Rep:
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Let x be the horizontal distance from the bow to the bollard. Now derive an equation for the length of (infinitely taut) line from the bow to the bollard. Differentiate that to get its rate of change.
I dont understand How I'd derive an equation
RogerOxon
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It's a triangle. You need an equation for the hypotenuse.
RogerOxon
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Here's a start:
Name:  Boat.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  5.6 KB
12345username
Rep:
shouldnt it be y=x^2+4^2
or am i confused
12345username
Rep:
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Here's a start:
Name:  Boat.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  5.6 KB
^^^^^^^^
RogerOxon
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
shouldnt it be y=x^2 4^2
or am i confused
Yes, you're right. The constant will disappear though, not that I should have missed the power ..
Last edited by RogerOxon; 3 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (61)
40.4%
They're exactly what I expected (36)