The Student Room Group

Applying to Cambridge to study PBS without any science A levels?

I want to apply to do PBS at Cambridge, as I find the course very interesting, but the A levels I currently take are English Literature, Sociology and Politics. The course has no entry requirements however some colleges do require Maths and Biology. Is it worth applying, despite the fact I haven't taken Psychology or any science subjects at A level, if they probably prefer students who have at least studied Psychology or studied other science subjects alongside their A levels? Also, what is the chance of me being accepted if my predicted grades are A*AA, which meets the entry requirements?
They might not accept you because you didn't do psychology at A-level. Unless you have mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't take psychology for A level. With your A level choices wouldn't Human Social Political Sciences be better suited?
Reply 2
Original post by Jasminesoc
I want to apply to do PBS at Cambridge, as I find the course very interesting, but the A levels I currently take are English Literature, Sociology and Politics. The course has no entry requirements however some colleges do require Maths and Biology. Is it worth applying, despite the fact I haven't taken Psychology or any science subjects at A level, if they probably prefer students who have at least studied Psychology or studied other science subjects alongside their A levels? Also, what is the chance of me being accepted if my predicted grades are A*AA, which meets the entry requirements?

You simply need to follow the entry requirements. If you apply to a college that doesn't require Maths and Biology then you can be a competitive applicant.

Cambridge doesn't have secret requirements. :wink:

Original post by Afterlife?
They might not accept you because you didn't do psychology at A-level. Unless you have mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't take psychology for A level. With your A level choices wouldn't Human Social Political Sciences be better suited?

Nope. Psychology A-level is not required by any Cambridge colleges.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/psychological-and-behavioural-sciences

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)

It's not required but ur applying for a psychology based course so you have to demonstrate why you want to study it and this is hard w/o doing psychology alevel or any science a level as a matter of fact
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
It's not required but ur applying for a psychology based course so you have to demonstrate why you want to study it and this is hard w/o doing psychology alevel or any science a level as a matter of fact

If it was a required or even preferred subject Cambridge would say so. They haven't. It isn't. And Sociology is not 5 million miles away from Psychology.

Cambridge says: Useful subjects include those that indicate you will be able to develop and present arguments effectively, as in many of the humanities subjects.

Also:
What do I need to know about Psychology when I apply and come for interview? We do not require you to have studied any specific subject to study PBS. The style of interviews will vary between colleges, but your interviewers will all try to ask questions that allow you to show that you have thought about the subject, and have an aptitude and enthusiasm for study in Psychology. For example, they may ask you to demonstrate awareness of the real-world application of the subject; an interview may focus on developing ideas from one of the subjects you have studied, particularly if you have already expressed a particular interest.

Yes, the OP will need to contact some colleges and check their attitude to the lack of Maths/Biology. But the lack of Psychology is not the problem.
Reply 5

I was thinking I probably have a better chance to apply for HSPS but I would prefer to do PBS, so now I just have this dilemma on what to choose.
Reply 6
Original post by Jasminesoc
I was thinking I probably have a better chance to apply for HSPS but I would prefer to do PBS, so now I just have this dilemma on what to choose.

Have you contacted any colleges that have said they don't require Maths and/or Biology? They are the *only* people who can advise you.

It may also be possible to transfer to PBS after Part I HSPS but that's only with the agreement of both DoSes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by psychsh
Do you know which colleges require maths and biology?

Trinity. I don't *think* any other college requires them.

Best to simply check the colleges you prefer.

Quick Reply

Latest