Ideas needed for EPQ in physics ASAP

Watch
Adam63
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am planning to study physics at university and therefore decided to do my EPQ in a physics related area because it gives me something to talk about in my interview and UCAS application.
Needs some ideas for questions that arent too maths heavy as the physics teachers at my school wont sign off on it.

Thanks
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Here's some ideas that might get the motor going...

Dark Energy & Universal Expansion (a cliche... I'm pretty sure this is suggested everywhere)
Astrobiology, Requirements for Alien Life & Searching for it
Astronomy & Modern Society, i.e. how changing lighting habits and environmental concerns for energy conservation are harming surface amateur Astronomy, proposed fixes, that kind of stuff. Would be an abstract interesting one, but Idk if you could stretch it for an EPQ. Very graphical, though!
Gravitational Waves & Black Holes (LIGO made some pretty neat discoveries relatively recently, so bleeding-edge scientific papers on ARXIV would be nice to read)

As for titling EPQs on such topics...

"Will the ever-accelerating expansion of our Universe lead us into another?" (Just an idea? Leads to the theory of multiple universes, which may exist side by side, and may spontaneously come into existence per the big bang theory and just expand into each-other, or contract and somehow warp and drag the edge of our Universe, etc... was interesting, but I've long forgotten most of it :P)
"Fast Radio Bursts: Could they be a plausible explanation for alien communication, or are they just another astrophysical phenomenon?" (Not mathematical, not really at least, but would take a lot of effort to interpret some of the results. Quite interesting, would bring in aliens which is always a +1, and lets you look into aliens, their civilisations, SETI, that kind of thing)
"Are our efforts to reduce energy consumption blocking out the stars for future generations?"(Let's you look at how modernising the lighting in the country or perhaps other factors such as the spread of the population, etc, act to reduce the amount of stars you can see, i.e. by increasing light pollution, and flooding the sky with LED lights that can't easily be filtered out by camera filters for astrophotography/etc, in comparison to sodium bulbs.)
"Would it be possible to study the Big Bang in detail through the use of Gravitational Wave Astronomy?" (might work?)

Hope I gave some sort of ideas ;-;
Adam63
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I love you..
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Adam63)
I love you..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.25%
Uncertainty around my education (36)
10.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (38)
11.31%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.06%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.17%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (35)
10.42%
Financial worries (24)
7.14%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.46%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.25%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (9)
2.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.12%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.44%

Watched Threads