Just how difficult will it be to get a Degree Apprenticeship in IT or Cyber Security?

Watch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
It seems like Degree Apprenticeships are looking very hard to get and only the straight A students will be able to get into one. This is the route I want to go down, but my A Level grades are looking like CCB and though I am trying to get work experience to increase my chances, I'm not sure if I should even be considering this if there is no chance I'll be able to get one?

If there are any current degree or even higher apprentices with insight into how competitive they truly are and what sort of grades and things they will be looking for, please let me know.
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Look for Level 3's down that path and see if they would accommodate progression to Level 4 + 5 after a successful year?
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 974100)
It seems like Degree Apprenticeships are looking very hard to get and only the straight A students will be able to get into one. This is the route I want to go down, but my A Level grades are looking like CCB and though I am trying to get work experience to increase my chances, I'm not sure if I should even be considering this if there is no chance I'll be able to get one?

If there are any current degree or even higher apprentices with insight into how competitive they truly are and what sort of grades and things they will be looking for, please let me know.
Just send off enough applications and you'll surely get one, the requirements are not overly high and most will be around straight C grades which you'll have. Also, be more broad in your search rather than just cyber ones because you could get on to a degree apprenticeship with a general IT company and end up or push to work on cyber related work/projects.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by yt7777)
Just send off enough applications and you'll surely get one, the requirements are not overly high and most will be around straight C grades which you'll have. Also, be more broad in your search rather than just cyber ones because you could get on to a degree apprenticeship with a general IT company and end up or push to work on cyber related work/projects.
Thank you I appreciate this advice, but though the entry requirements are low, these courses are meant to be competitive so the actual grades necessary to get in may be quite high is what I'm thinking.
I just need to gauge my chances of getting a degree apprenticeship and my options if things don't work out. I will also look into higher apprenticeships and see about continuing onto a degree one after that.
X4NDER
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The top ones are competitive, but if you apply to several you'll have a good chance, and your predicted A Levels are good enough for most technology degree apprenticeships. There's some non IT companies like Jaguar Land Rover, BBC and many banks that are now doing the digital technology solutions degree apprenticeships and cyber security ones, have a look on the websites of some companies you're interested in. I think Exeter uni also has a list of smaller companies who's apprentices they train for IT degree apprenticeships.
eh22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Santander offer them
Fatcoin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They are competitive however it's not school or uni any more - it's a job, your results matter a lot less than you might think and they will take someone with lower results over someone who cannot speak to people or was rude or messed up an interview.

The uni's vary in quality so you may be ok - there are Russel Group unis offering places as well as less prestigious ones which naturally will have lower requirements so you shouldn't give up already.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (442)
56.31%
I don't have everything I need (343)
43.69%

Watched Threads