Chris Dymond
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Dear all,

My partner recently applied to the course 'BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS' at the University of East London (the course was formerly titled 'BA (Hons) Early Childhood with Education and QTS). She has been invited to attend an interview, and will also be required to perform a hand-written writing task.

We are wondering if anyone could shed some light on what questions might arise during the interview, and what the written task might consist of? These questions are being asked so that she can appropriately prepare.

She has also been invited to attend a similar at the University of Cumbria (Tower Hamlets Campus).

Any and all information is appreciated very much. Thanks in advance.

Chris.
Last edited by Chris Dymond; 2 years ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chris Dymond)
Dear all,

My partner recently applied to the course 'BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS' at the University of East London (the course was formerly titled 'BA (Hons) Early Childhood with Education and QTS). She has been invited to attend an interview, and will also be required to perform a hand-written writing task.

We are wondering if anyone could shed some light on what questions might arise during the interview, and what the written task might consist of? These questions are being asked so that she can appropriately prepare.

She has also been invited to attend a similar at the University of Cumbria (Tower Hamlets Campus).

Any and all information is appreciated very much. Thanks in advance.

Chris.
You can normally glean what they are looking for at the interview from the website. Look for the things they value in students.

I expect you cant go far wrong by being able to answer who you are, why you are there, why you chose that course, why that uni, what interests/ motivates you, what skills you have and what you expect to do after. They might also want to know if you have any experience?

The hand written task then they should be able to tell you in the interview . I was expecting to see an education or a teachers society but there doesnt appear to be one. All you need is a rough idea on the type of written exercise then you can google it and easily find out whats expected, just imagine they are a teacher and some common sense what they look for.
Chris Dymond
Rep:
?
Hello,

Firstly, I notice that you also commented on a previous post. So, thank you for your continued support!

And, thank you for this sound advice. I agree that we couldn’t get on wrong by anticipating these questions, and by turning to the values they applaud in students. We’ll start thinking through these things right away.

I do apologise, but I haven’t quite caught the drift the paragraph concerning the hand written task. Could you expand a little, please? Do you have any suggestions as to how we might find out the nature of the task, for example?

Thanks again. Chris.
Last edited by Chris Dymond; 2 years ago
SorchaBG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Chris. I too have applied for the BA Primary at UEL and at Cumbria. I've been offered an interview for next week at UEL so have logged on here to try see what the interview / test will consist of, but Ive only found chatter about the PGCE so far. I haven't recieved a reply from Cumbria yet. Be great to speak with your partner, since we've both applied for two of the same courses.
Chris Dymond
Rep:
?
(Original post by SorchaBG)
Hi Chris. I too have applied for the BA Primary at UEL and at Cumbria. I've been offered an interview for next week at UEL so have logged on here to try see what the interview / test will consist of, but Ive only found chatter about the PGCE so far. I haven't recieved a reply from Cumbria yet. Be great to speak with your partner, since we've both applied for two of the same courses.
Good morning,

After her interviews, my partner received an offer from both universities. We did quite a few practice interviews together. If it helps, here are the questions we prepared, and also the questions that came up in the interview:

1) Why choose this course?
2) Why study at this university?
3) Why do you want to teach (at a Primary level)?
4) What qualities will you bring to teaching?
5) What skills or experiences do you have that will make you a good teacher?
6) Why do you believe that Primary Education is important (over and against Secondary, for example)?
7) What are current issues in Primary Education?
8) How might your professional experience relate to teaching?
9) If you have experience in schools, could you relate this to teaching?
10) What qualities should a teacher have?
11) What are the challenges of being a teacher (at Primary level)?

Be prepared to share a dialogue on these questions, especially the more open ended ones, such as question #7, and #11.

Question #7 is quite important. It's essential that you isolate an issue important to you, and that you are able to share a discourse on that issue. To adequately prepare, get to grips with current issues through articles on these websites:

1) https://www.theguardian.com/education/primary-schools
2) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education
3) https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/PrimarySchool

As an example, my partner chose technology in the classroom as the issue that she familiarised herself with.

I can't remember what the written task was on at the University of East London... I'll ask my partner when we next speak, which will be in the next few hours. Once I have an answer, I'll respond here. However, to prepare, my partner and I set timers for fifteen minutes and wrote responses to various articles pulled from the links above. This seemed to work for her. At UEL, she had thirty minutes to complete her task.

At Cumbria, there is no written task. However, you must deliver a two minute presentation. Here a description of the task, pulled from Cumbria's website:

This task is designed to evaluate your creativity, time keeping and ability to remain calm and enthusiastic. Please bring an interesting resource that could be used in the classroom to support learning.

In a group setting you will have 2 minutes to explain:

1) Why you chose the resource.
2) Your chosen age range.
3) How your resource could be used to engage children and support learning.

You can be as creative as you like with the resource but we do ask that it doesn’t take too much time to set up, does not require water and/or electricity and is easily transportable.

Following your explanation, the other candidates in your group will be encouraged to discuss the resource with you so be prepared to answer further questions. Perhaps you could prepare for this by anticipating the kinds of questions they might ask.

~

As way of an example, my partner used a hand puppet as her resource.

That should cover you. Prepare the above, and you'll be fine. My advice would be to carry out as many practice interviews, writing tasks, and presentation run throughs as you can. Practicing the presentation is quite important as running to time is a criterion of the rubric.

Also, be aware that there is a large slant on inclusivity across social and cultural boundaries, and learning levels and abilities.

And, lastly, at the University of East London, things were more formulaic. The interview consisted of seven questions (represented in the list above) that were read by the interviewer. It wasn't a very discursive environment, but that is not to say that it was cold. At Cumbria, things were far more loose. The interview was more of a dialogue, with the interviewer's questions often being tangental, but related to the previous question.

I hope that this helps. Get back to you soon regarding the written task at the University of East London.

Yours,
Chris
Chris Dymond
Rep:
?
(Original post by SorchaBG)
Hi again,

I've just spoken to my partner. The writing task at the University of East London consisted of:

The question posed to her was 'What are the qualities of a good teacher?' She was left alone for thirty minutes to write her response, which was expected to fill a side of A4.

By and large, the purpose of the task was to monitor her handwriting, grammar, and spelling.

I hope that this helps.

Yours,
Chris
SorchaBG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for the effort in relaying all that information, that's incredibly helpful. I'm feeling far more confident now I have a concept of what's to come! Again, thank you and I will be sure to post how it all went.
Sorcha
Chris Dymond
Rep:
?
Hi Sorcha,

No worries. Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Best of luck. I hope that all goes well for you.

And yes: do let me know how it goes!

Yours,Chris
Mithra21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I have an interview for PGCE PRIMARY at UEL tomorrow. Can someone please tell me the presentation that I have to give is it to a group or it will be at the one to one interview. Thanks
Mithra21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I have an interview for PGCE PRIMARY at UEL tomorrow. Can someone please tell me the presentation that I have to give is it to a group or it will be at the one to one interview. Thanks
Livwilliamsss
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mithra21)
Hi I know you posted this 3 months ago but I was wondering if you could explain what you had to do for the presentation and what the day was like. I have applied for UEL and I am waiting for a response and I want to prepare myself for it.
University of East London
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Livwilliamsss)
Hi I know you posted this 3 months ago but I was wondering if you could explain what you had to do for the presentation and what the day was like. I have applied for UEL and I am waiting for a response and I want to prepare myself for it.
Hi Livwilliamsss

So great to hear that you have applied to study at the University of East London. I wish you the very best of luck in the application process. If you have any questions during this time our dedicated Applicant Enquiries team are on hand to help. Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm, +44 (0) 20 8223 3333 and [email protected]

- Meg
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (433)
56.45%
I don't have everything I need (334)
43.55%

Watched Threads