The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

First year at the University of Nottingham - AMA

Hey guys, I'm Mahel Khan and I'm a YouTuber who has been vlogging first year at the University of Nottingham, showing you an insight into life at the uni. However, I thought it'd be nice to also host an AMA here to answer any questions you may have and to receive answers from the perspective of a first year, considering I applied for UoN in November 2017 and joined September 2018

Ask away :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:wavey:
What course are you doing and how are you finding it?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by nyxnko_
:wavey:
What course are you doing and how are you finding it?

Management at Nottingham University Business School (NUBS) - it's more difficult than I thought it'd be and I'd say my hardest module is Business Economics, with my easiest being Professional and Academic Development
Original post by Mahel
Hey guys, I'm Mahel Khan and I'm a YouTuber who has been vlogging first year at the University of Nottingham, showing you an insight into life at the uni. However, I thought it'd be nice to also host an AMA here to answer any questions you may have and to receive answers from the perspective of a first year, considering I applied for UoN in November 2017 and joined September 2018

Ask away :smile:

Oh yo, I have seen your YouTube videos! I have applied for the following courses at Nottingham:

-Mechanical Engineering including an Industrial Year BEng
-Engineering and Physical Sciences Foundation Programme

How was it settling in in Nottingham? How is uni life generally?
Reply 4
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
Oh yo, I have seen your YouTube videos! I have applied for the following courses at Nottingham:

Settling into Nottingham was quite easy to be honest, few flat parties in the first few days of uni made it easy to meet new people + group chats that were made before uni started. Uni life in general is a whole new experience as you have to balance going out and studying (club closes at 3am, you get back at 3:30am and then lecture at 10am - sleep deprivation at work) but I think I'm managing to handle it all
Original post by Mahel
Settling into Nottingham was quite easy to be honest, few flat parties in the first few days of uni made it easy to meet new people group chats that were made before uni started. Uni life in general is a whole new experience as you have to balance going out and studying (club closes at 3am, you get back at 3:30am and then lecture at 10am - sleep deprivation at work) but I think I'm managing to handle it all

Mad. I think my ratio for Study:Party is like 70:30 lol since engineering is a tough course to do. Btw, whrn did u get an offer from Notts? My school is taking 20 years to process my application
(edited 5 years ago)
Mad. I think my ratio for Study:Party is like 70:30 lol since engineering is a tough course to do. Btw, whrn did u get an offer from Notts? My school is taking 20 years to process my application

Hey im at Nottingham, im an MSc mech eng student (so ive got a mech eng undergrad degree already and did a placement year as well) youll have plenty of time to party still! Engineering is concentrated work so youll have some weeks where u can go clubbing every day but then youll have some weeks where you're flooded with work.
Original post by malcolmmarecki
Hey im at Nottingham, im an MSc mech eng student (so ive got a mech eng undergrad degree already and did a placement year as well) youll have plenty of time to party still! Engineering is concentrated work so youll have some weeks where u can go clubbing every day but then youll have some weeks where you're flooded with work.

Thanks for the advice! one thing i am worried about is the Course size. for mech eng with Industry year it says there are only 30 places. on the contrary, there is 150 for the normal beng? Is this true and why is there such a low number since I did apply for the 30 place course

Same what are you predicted grades may I ask
Original post by benwhite13
Same what are you predicted grades may I ask

AAC my guy. why?
AAC my guy. why?

i want to see if I have a chance for a offer
i want to see if I have a chance for a offer

whts yr subjects and predicted?

math (a) physics (b) chemistry (b)
math (a) physics (b) chemistry (b)

Yr Set bruv. wht course r u applying for exactly and where else u applying to?

what about your subjects?
Yr Set bruv. wht course r u applying for exactly and where else u applying to?

I'm set?

BEng mechanical engineering
Loughborough
Surrey
coventry
aston
I'm set?

BEng mechanical engineering
Loughborough
Surrey
coventry
aston

First of all, you have physics and maths. ypu have good grades. if u wanna go to like Southampton waraick or Sheffield. adjustment it is. i would rather have your subjects and predicted grades ngl

I hope we get a place!! I’m also applying to UoN for Electrical and Electronic Engineering for the 2019 entry! Lol
Original post by enlamira88
I hope we get a place!! I’m also applying to UoN for Electrical and Electronic Engineering for the 2019 entry! Lol

Shd get one for foundation. unlikely for beng based on number of places
First of all, you have physics and maths. ypu have good grades. if u wanna go to like Southampton waraick or Sheffield. adjustment it is. i would rather have your subjects and predicted grades ngl

thanks mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending