The Student Room Group

Pressured into moving sixth forms

Hey,

I currently study at a school that gets mediocre A Level results . Last year it got 25% A*/A & 18% B. I'm getting told to move away for sixth form but I'd prefer to stay because of the reputation that I've been able to build with friends & teachers over the last 5 years. While I know I shouldn't stay because of that, the subjects that I wish to do, do quite well.

How should I deal with this?
Who is telling you to move?
Reply 2
Original post by Doctor Robert
Who is telling you to move?

Members of my family, my sister went to the same sixth form and the head of sixth form wasn't there when she got her results which seems to be the biggest reason they don't like my school's sixth form
Original post by iBearHQ
Members of my family, my sister went to the same sixth form and the head of sixth form wasn't there when she got her results which seems to be the biggest reason they don't like my school's sixth form

It doesn’t seem that much of a big deal to change sixth form. Especially after you have already started attending you current one. Tell them that moving now will seriously impact your end performance.
"mediocre results"

"25% A*/A level"

the north and cities in the south are laughing at you
Reply 5
Original post by LostAccount
"mediocre results"

"25% A*/A level"

the north and cities in the south are laughing at you

Lol I say mediocre because the schools around us got 60% A*-B, 85% A*-B (both of these schools are selective) and 54% A*-B
Original post by iBearHQ
Lol I say mediocre because the schools around us got 60% A*-B, 85% A*-B (both of these schools are selective) and 54% A*-B

just like a 50p coin from scotland is worth no more or less than a 50p coin from england, an AAA from Coburg-Gotha Royal Grammar School is worth no more or less than an AAA from Burnley Technical Academy. it's a standardised test across the country

if you're worried about the likelihood of getting a grade, I doubt that a simple switch of sixth forms would do the trick. teaching is likely only marginally better (because those outcomes are good in the first place, nationally speaking) and the actual grade really is down to you and you alone.

Quick Reply

Latest