National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Good evening and welcome to the National Careers Service live Q&A.

You're with adviser Sophie tonight and I'm here to answer questions on careers, education, employment, apprenticeships and more.

Get involved in our thread or send us a PM before 9pm for a guaranteed response.

Thanks - Sophie.
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
I'm live on TSR for 2 more hours, make sure to get your questions in before 9pm!
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi. My son is studying an Adult Access course. The subjects are Basic Communication, Basic Maths, History, English Literature, Sociology and Psychology. Out of History, English Lit, Sociology and Psychology, he picks 3 to do at A Level. He is maybe interested in studying a Politics degree. Because he won't have an A Level in Politics, does this mean he is unlikely to be accepted ? EDIT. He will be applying to Ulster University, who accept the Access course, but it doesn't specify in which subjects.
Last edited by markova21; 1 year ago
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
(Original post by markova21)
Hi. My son is studying an Adult Access course. The subjects are Basic Communication, Basic Maths, History, English Literature, Sociology and Psychology. Out of History, English Lit, Sociology and Psychology, he picks 3 to do at A Level. He is maybe interested in studying a Politics degree. Because he won't have an A Level in Politics, does this mean he is unlikely to be accepted ? EDIT. He will be applying to Ulster University, who accept the Access course, but it doesn't specify in which subjects.
Hi there,

Thanks for your message this evening.

The A Level requirement for this course is grades BCC- BBC. Ulster University do not ask specifically for politics at A-Level for entry onto the course.

From the subjects he is doing History is the most strongly linked subject he is currently taking. Many universities do not ask for specific subjects for their degree courses just a certain level of achievement in their A-level grades. If your son is concerned it may really strengthen his personal statement for university by doing some politics based work experience such as joining a local party and taking part in local election campaigns.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions I'm online until 9pm and happy to help.

Thanks - Sophie.
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
You've got just over an hour to get your questions to me tonight!
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
If you missed us on TSR this evening you can send us a message or reply to any of our threads at any time and we'll get back to you. If you need immediate support our advisers are available online and over the phone 7 days a week from 8am-10pm

https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ontact-us/home

Goodnight.
em is tired
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I am considering studying in Germany. Can I still apply for the RAF and potentially be sponsored during university?
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
(Original post by em is tired)
Hi, I am considering studying in Germany. Can I still apply for the RAF and potentially be sponsored during university?
Hi there,

Thanks for your question.

They may be able to sponsor you through your education but I am unsure if they would sponsor this overseas. Can I ask if you have been to your local RAF recruitment/careers office to speak with someone about this directly?

There is some further information online about their university sponsorship schemes - https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/m...ponsorship.pdf

From what I am reading it looks as though sponsorship is only offered at UK universities.

Thanks - Sophie.
username3539714
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by National Careers Service)
Good evening and welcome to the National Careers Service live Q&A.

You're with adviser Sophie tonight and I'm here to answer questions on careers, education, employment, apprenticeships and more.

Get involved in our thread or send us a PM before 9pm for a guaranteed response.

Thanks - Sophie.
Hi, can I do BA Accounting & Finance or an accounting apprenticeship with Business, Psychology, Biology and an EPQ related to accounting as my A Levels? I have a 6 in GCSE Maths & English. Thanks.
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
(Original post by AM_TSR)
Hi, can I do BA Accounting & Finance or an accounting apprenticeship with Business, Psychology, Biology and an EPQ related to accounting as my A Levels? I have a 6 in GCSE Maths & English. Thanks.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question.

You may find that the majority of universities and apprenticeships will ask for Maths at A-Level for entry. Some may accept business as a related qualification but it would be donw to the discression of each individual university and apprenticeship employer.

With accounting and finance being very maths heavy it is important to have prior qualifications in this subject.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to get back to me.

Thanks - Sophie.
TheQuin
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
RAF_Adam - could you help out with this query?
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi

Which role are you interested in applying for in the RAF? There are limited sponsorship opportunities each year, so it may depend on the role you're interested in going into once you complete your studies. Also, some roles and the sponsorship available are tied to specific degrees (for engineering, for example) so you would be required to go to one of a number of specific universities for specific courses.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
username3539714
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,

Thank you for your question.

You may find that the majority of universities and apprenticeships will ask for Maths at A-Level for entry. Some may accept business as a related qualification but it would be donw to the discression of each individual university and apprenticeship employer.

With accounting and finance being very maths heavy it is important to have prior qualifications in this subject.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to get back to me.

Thanks - Sophie.
Thanks, I see most universities for a Bachelor of Arts degree only require a 6 for in GCSE maths though so is it no possible at all? Can a business or accounting only degree enable me to become a management accountant?
Last edited by username3539714; 1 year ago
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
Thanks, I see most universities for a Bachelor of Arts degree only require a 6 for in GCSE maths though so is it no possible at all? Can a business or accounting only degree enable me to become a management accountant?
Thanks for getting back to me.

Do you know which uni/s you would like to apply with so I can check direct with them?

It really does depend on the University you are applying for, without Maths at A-level you may have fewer options than what you would with it. There are 722 Accountancy and Finance degree courses or related courses in the UK so it's difficult for me to say for definate.

Some do need you to have Maths at A-level and some don't, if you can give me so ideas about where you would like to apply I can give you a much more clear idea.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks - Sophie.
username3539714
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for getting back to me.

Do you know which uni/s you would like to apply with so I can check direct with them?

It really does depend on the University you are applying for, without Maths at A-level you may have fewer options than what you would with it. There are 722 Accountancy and Finance degree courses or related courses in the UK so it's difficult for me to say for definate.

Some do need you to have Maths at A-level and some don't, if you can give me so ideas about where you would like to apply I can give you a much more clear idea.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks - Sophie.
Im not exactly sure but universities such as Liverpool, Sheffield, Kent, Nottingham Trent, Lincoln, Keele
Last edited by username3539714; 1 year ago
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
Im not exactly sure but universities such as Liverpool, Sheffield, Kent, Nottingham Trent, Lincoln, Keele
That's no problem, I can give a rough idea of what you will be looking at...

University of Liverpool - for the BA Accounting and Finance they ask for grades AAB at A-level but not specifically A-level Mathematics but do as that you have a grade 5 or above at GCSE in Mathematics

Liverpool John Moores University - Do not offer the BA just the BSc in Accountancy and Finance. They as for grades BBC at A-level but do not need A-level Mathematics specifically but do ask for a grade 4 or above in English Language and Mathematics.

Liverpool Hope University - For the BA in Accountancy and Finance ask for BBB, again they do not need this to be in Mathematics.

University of Sheffield - Closest course they offer is Accounting and Finance Management BA. They need grades ABB but it doesn't state that one of the A-levels needs to be in Mathematics. They need a grade 6 at GSCE maths and a grade 4 in English.

Sheffield Hallam University - Ask for grades BBB for their Accounting and Finance BA, they expect you to demonstrate experience in accounting as part of your personal statement and need at least 5 GCSEs at grades 4 and above including Maths and English.

University of Kent - Offer the BA in Accountancy and Finance and required grades BBB at A-level they do not state one of these has to be in Mathematics. They ask you have a grade 4 in English Language and grade 6 in Mathematics at GCSE#

Nottingham Trent University - BA Accountancy and Finance requirements are BBB again they don't need you to have Mathematics at A-level but you must have a grade 4 in English and grade 5 in Mathematics at GCSE

University of Lincoln - BA Accountancy and Finance requirements are a little lower at BBC and they do not need you to have A-level Mathematics. You will need a minimum of 3 GCSEs at grade 4 or above including English and Maths.

Keele University - For their BA they will accept grades from BBC - CCC for the degree. They ask for a grade 4 in English and a grade 6 in Mathematics at GCSE.

In a nutshell - the universities you have in mind all meet the requirements you need. If you start to look at other universities outside of this area you will find the entry requirements differ. For example the University of Bristol ask for AAA or A*AB and this must include A-level Mathematics.

I hope this information us useful and that you feel reassured that you can progress onto this degree with your current A-levels and GCSEs.

Thanks - Sophie.
username3539714
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's no problem, I can give a rough idea of what you will be looking at...

University of Liverpool - for the BA Accounting and Finance they ask for grades AAB at A-level but not specifically A-level Mathematics but do as that you have a grade 5 or above at GCSE in Mathematics

Liverpool John Moores University - Do not offer the BA just the BSc in Accountancy and Finance. They as for grades BBC at A-level but do not need A-level Mathematics specifically but do ask for a grade 4 or above in English Language and Mathematics.

Liverpool Hope University - For the BA in Accountancy and Finance ask for BBB, again they do not need this to be in Mathematics.

University of Sheffield - Closest course they offer is Accounting and Finance Management BA. They need grades ABB but it doesn't state that one of the A-levels needs to be in Mathematics. They need a grade 6 at GSCE maths and a grade 4 in English.

Sheffield Hallam University - Ask for grades BBB for their Accounting and Finance BA, they expect you to demonstrate experience in accounting as part of your personal statement and need at least 5 GCSEs at grades 4 and above including Maths and English.

University of Kent - Offer the BA in Accountancy and Finance and required grades BBB at A-level they do not state one of these has to be in Mathematics. They ask you have a grade 4 in English Language and grade 6 in Mathematics at GCSE#

Nottingham Trent University - BA Accountancy and Finance requirements are BBB again they don't need you to have Mathematics at A-level but you must have a grade 4 in English and grade 5 in Mathematics at GCSE

University of Lincoln - BA Accountancy and Finance requirements are a little lower at BBC and they do not need you to have A-level Mathematics. You will need a minimum of 3 GCSEs at grade 4 or above including English and Maths.

Keele University - For their BA they will accept grades from BBC - CCC for the degree. They ask for a grade 4 in English and a grade 6 in Mathematics at GCSE.

In a nutshell - the universities you have in mind all meet the requirements you need. If you start to look at other universities outside of this area you will find the entry requirements differ. For example the University of Bristol ask for AAA or A*AB and this must include A-level Mathematics.

I hope this information us useful and that you feel reassured that you can progress onto this degree with your current A-levels and GCSEs.

Thanks - Sophie.
Thank you very much!
em is tired
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

Which role are you interested in applying for in the RAF? There are limited sponsorship opportunities each year, so it may depend on the role you're interested in going into once you complete your studies. Also, some roles and the sponsorship available are tied to specific degrees (for engineering, for example) so you would be required to go to one of a number of specific universities for specific courses.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Hi Adam, thanks for replying!
I am interested in becoming a pilot- do I need to study a certain degree course for this?... and does Oxford come under the Unis for which sponsorship is offered?
Last edited by em is tired; 1 year ago
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Adam, thanks for replying!
I am interested in becoming a pilot- do I need to study a certain degree course for this?... and does Oxford come under the Unis for which sponsorship is offered?
Hi Em

It's unlikely you'll get sponsorship for a pilot application as the role is so highly applied for every year that sponsorship may not be needed. You also don't require a degree for the Pilot role, only GCSEs and A levels (Leadership and teamwork experience will also be beneficial).

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Miiiiiiii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What GCSE subject should I take for my options to become an accountant. Also for my GCSE options should I take French or business studies???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (29)
45.31%
Take autumn exams (23)
35.94%
Look for a job (1)
1.56%
Consider an apprenticeship (2)
3.13%
Take a year out (6)
9.38%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.69%

Watched Threads