The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering- does university matter?

I want to do chemical engineering at university and was wondering ....Does it matter which university you go to ?

I know for degrees such as medicine etc it doesn't matter that much but does it matter for chemical engineering.
Actually it not mattering for medicine is a bit of a myth, there are actually pretty significant differences in post-F2 destinations for some medical schools over others. but back to the topic at hand...

It doesn't really matter, as long as the course is accredited, in that where your degree comes from doesn't matter so much as what you make of your time at university. If you get involved in projects, do internships, etc. then you'll get a good job whether you're at Cambridge or London Met.

However 1) some companies do target certain universities, but this isn't as simple as them just targeting higher ranked, more prestigious, etc. unis, and those perceived lower tier universities also get targeted. And 2) the university you go to will to an extent denote what project opportunities are open to you (though it's also worth being aware that many competitions don't restrict team members to being all from a single university, so if there is another university nearby which does have those opportunities, you can still get involved, even though there will be complexities in that).
As long as the course is accredited, it's highly unlikely to make any difference to your career prospects.
Original post by Daniyal46732
I want to do chemical engineering at university and was wondering ....Does it matter which university you go to ?

I know for degrees such as medicine etc it doesn't matter that much but does it matter for chemical engineering.

It strictly does not matter. What matters are the additional benefits present within certain programmes. For example, Cambridge, Manchester and Imperial are among the top places to study Chemical Engineering, so there may be better facilities, top academics, good opportunities to do leading research and good employer relationships.

If you dont mind the additional benefits and just focused on the content, then I’d argue that it does not matter.

Quick Reply

Latest