The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St. Andrews Materials Chemistry Visiting Day but no offer?

Hi, I've applied to St. Andrews for Materials Chemistry and have been invited to a visiting day. What does this ACTUALLY mean? Because I don't have an offer from them and the visiting days are scheduled to take place in February and March, do I have to wait until I've attended this visiting day to receive an offer?

Thanks
Email them and ask
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
St Andrews are pretty notorious for being slow to give out offers, and generally don't tend to give out offers to Scots/EU/UK until after the UCAS deadline. I don't think it's very likely that your offer will be linked to whether/when you attend a visiting day, but you could be waiting a long time for an offer regardless.
Reply 3
Hi afrosamurai,

Is the event you have been invited to a visiting day or an applicant day? These are 2 different days:

- A visiting day is organised by the University, normally with the option of a town/hall tour, talks on different student issues (eg study abroad and finance?), and the option to visit 1/2 departments. These have concluded for 1st semester though more will run in 2nd semester, and is good for a general feel of the university.
The visiting days tend to be for people considering applying, or if they've applied and are not sure who to firm yet.

-An applicant day is organised by the specific school (not all schools run them, though I had one for chemistry 5 years ago!)- as you've applied for chemistry too, I'd assume this is what you were invited to. These were also in 2nd semester when I applied, and they ran a few from late Jan onwards I think.
Your offer is not conditional on attendance- I got my offer a few days before going, and some people I met there didn't hear back for ages afterwards- but it is a great way to learn more about the chemistry school if you're considering placing it as a firm/insurance.
I can't exactly recall what we did, but there were a few talks and a tour of the school, and there was a lovely dinner in Zizzis with some lecturers and current students. These days are only for applicants (hence running them after the UCAS deadline), and is aimed at giving potential students the opportunity to see the department in more depth and sway you towards St Andrews! They gave us a wee goodie bag as well, and I'm a huge lover of freebies

Either way, your date of you receiving your outcome is not related to you attending any of these days :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending