Theextremefish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
"Industrial preparation and testing of Aspirin.
Same method, larger scale described with a flow diagram (drying, filtering etc). Testing by IR spectroscopy and GL chromatography. NOTE; Tablet production is what happens to the Aspirin after manufacture so tablet production and testing is a small part of this, not all of it!" This is my P6 and i am really confused. Im not sure because it says tablets are a small part of this so i assume there is a powdered way of industrially producing Aspirin and i couldn't find anything please help!

Edit: the title should be industrial processing of aspirin as a powder
Last edited by Theextremefish; 2 years ago
Guarddyyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not exactly sure what your question is or what you're trying to say. If you could make it clearer I can probably help out.
Theextremefish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guarddyyy)
I'm not exactly sure what your question is or what you're trying to say. If you could make it clearer I can probably help out.
In other words the preparation of aspirin, purification and testing but on a batch scale (i'm not sure what GL chromatography and IR spectroscopy is but it is a testing process) but my teacher told me that it wasn't the process for tablets but a different process.
Guarddyyy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So you're trying to test the purity of aspirin?
Theextremefish
Rep:
?
So you're trying to test the purity of aspirin?
The whole process of making aspirin, purifying and testing basically everything XD. Maybe the way the teacher said it wasn't really right
Guarddyyy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Right, it makes more sense, so you want the entire process of making aspirin.

Procedure:

You would begin with oil of wintergreen which is the base product when making aspirin. You will need to reflux it with concentrated NaOH for around half an hour to ensure all of the oil of wintergreen has reacted.

You should then allow your mixture to cool by putting it surrounded by a large beaker of ice (but do not dilute the mixture). Slowly neutralise the mixture (then make slightly acidic) using 2mol dm^-3 of HCl and test the pH regularly using pH indicator paper.

Filter the solution to separate the 2-hydroxybenzoic acid and wash it with cold water to ensure all the acid is removed.

After that, you should get small amounts of ethanoic anhydride and concentrated sulfuric acid and gently shake it side to side for several minutes. Aspirin should begin to appear in the mixture. Add cold ethanoic acid and then filter off the solid product gently by filtrating and washing with ice cold water. Put it on a watch glass and allow it to dry.

Recrystallisation

Transfer most of your impure aspirin to a flask and gently heat ethanol is water using an electric bath. Add small amounts of the ethanol until the impure aspirin has fully dissolved. Cool slowly until crystals of aspirin form and put it in an ice-water bath. Filter the aspirin crystals gently and wash with ice-cold ethanol.

Allow the solid to dry on a watch glass.

Testing

Either use TLC (thin layer chromatography) and compare your product with known pure aspirin and 2-hydroxybenzoic acid or...

Melting point using a melting point tube. The purer it is, the closer it is should melt at the known melting point.

PHEEEEWW... that was a handful. I also forgot you should take mass measurements after each stage.

It's a ridiculously long practical (probably the longest, took me 3 lessons to complete which are 1h 30m long).
Last edited by Guarddyyy; 2 years ago
Guarddyyy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sad part is you need to memorise this.
Theextremefish
Rep:
?
Sad part is you need to memorise this.
TYVM and yea ;-;
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (214)
56.76%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.26%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (42)
11.14%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.75%
I haven't started researching yet (22)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
4.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise