The Student Room Group

How to lose weight?

Ive ate far less than I usually do the past 2 months and literally still look the same :frown:
Reply 1
You might look the same but do you weigh the same amount ?
Original post by Anonymous
Ive ate far less than I usually do the past 2 months and literally still look the same :frown:

If you arent weighing yourself then how will you know?
If you arent weighing your food, then how will you know how much you are eating and whether you are at a calorific deficit?
Original post by JaseyB
You might look the same but do you weigh the same amount ?

Even if you lose weight, it could be water weight and gaining weight can be muscle gain.

Usually measurements can be reliable. Maybe you look the same but you actually did lose weight.
You might have just seen yourself often enough to not think that you did.

Also it's not really about eating less, but what you eat. I meaning, eating less helps too but eating a whole pizza as the only meal of the day doesn't help as much as eating maybe some chicken, rice and fruits as a snack and other stuff. Whatever is relatively healthier and tasty. There's like a rule you can follow if you want. It's like, don't eat anything that didn't exist maybe 100, 500, 1000 years ago, etc. whatever you feel like. It's basically don't eat junk and processed food
Exercise helps but even I hate it sometimes, so you could join stuff like swimming clubs, dance lessons or go ice skating. You can look at YouTube videos (i recommend someone called Sofabar because honestly i died everytime I did some of her workouts)

a couple questions?
what was your starting weight?
what is your current weight?
what is your BMI?
is that BMI not normal for your age?

next what do you mean by

Ive ate far less than I usually do the past 2 months

because starving yourself isn't the answer the key to weight loss is both mental and physical.
You need to not give up or be down otherwise you will overindulge and let the weight and calories crawl back into you.

secondly eating far less isn't the key either because you can eat far less bad food but still gain weight because it is bad food.

It would help me if you gave me some info on what sought of food you eat on a weekly basis and if possible your daily calorie intake.

Also try grilling foods or boiling them instead of frying them that and if you do still want to fry use healthy low calorie sprays like fry light etc.

Also if you are really serious about losing weight look in your community, there are a massive amount of weight losing groups such as slimming world and weight watchers who will happily accept you whether you weigh 10 stone or you weigh 50 and they don't care about your age.

That and don't be daunted thinking you will not fit in they are all really nice people who are all there working towards a common goal and they will support you on your journey.

Also try following their diet systems for example Slimming world uses a system called syns where you can check how healthy what you are consuming is.

Also if you told me how much exercise you do a week on average (even if it is 0 hours) that would help.

That and finally you need to understand that weight loss is a long journey, it takes double the amount of effort to lose the weight than it does to put it on, you will not get instant results but trust me at the end you will be happy that you made the effort to fight back.

That and most importantly never gauge your progress by comparing yourself to people online as it takes 2 seconds to photoshop yourself online into a stick.
Reply 5
I don’t do any exercise other than walking which is about 6h of walking a week I’d say. I kind of do slimming world because my mum does it and it’s easier for us to all have the same sometimes. I don’t know how much I weigh, BMI, or actual calorie intake
Reply 6
Ive ate far less than I usually do

No, you haven't.
Reply 7
Original post by Profesh
No, you haven't.

Yes I have. I wouldn’t bother lying on here 😂 if not I’d just not include that
I don’t do any exercise other than walking which is about 6h of walking a week I’d say. I kind of do slimming world because my mum does it and it’s easier for us to all have the same sometimes. I don’t know how much I weigh, BMI, or actual calorie intake

ok so I would reccommend going to a gym or somewhere like that near you where you can so some fat burning workouts, or just do some burpees at home until you can't get up anymore. However be sure to fufill a PAR-Q test first to make sure you are physically able to start exercise and to make sure you don't need to talk to a doctor first.
The slimming world is good you should talk to your mum and see if you can start coming to their sessions and also if you can become a member.
Also you can weigh yourself on some scales and then using that info just enter your height, weight and age into this https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/ and tell me what it returns.
Have a nice day!
Any good tips for losing half a stone before Christmas? Any suggestions for healthy snacks that are tasty and no carrots and celery sticks yuk.
Reply 10
Original post by Simonthegreat
Any good tips for losing half a stone before Christmas? Any suggestions for healthy snacks that are tasty and no carrots and celery sticks yuk.

Just have a meal a day but don't overload it. Myfitnesspal is free for download and I lkst half a stone in 2 weeks. If I had stuck with it I would have lost much more but instead I put it back on.
Try harder... eat less, run more. Takes about 2 yrs, hurts like hell. Problem is you lifestyle. Work on a building site and it would be your lifestyle but bet you don't. It does eventually stop hurting btw. eventually. Then look in the mirror!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Simonthegreat

An apple, an orange or a banana. This is what i snack on mainly or how about a small bowl of angel delight made with 1% fat milk or skimmed milk (your preference), throw some sesame seeds chopped almonds and coconut chunks into it. Or a very small bowl of porridge oats with the aforementioned things thrown into it.

As for tips decrease your caloies a little and/or step your exercise up try walking 10 miles once every weekend or everyother weekend.
(edited 5 years ago)
eat less calories and exercise a lot
I lost 8 kg within a few months by cutting down how much I eat (no more junk food or even healthy snacks, just 3 meals a day) so you deffo should’ve seen a difference. Are you weighing yourself every week? There’s loads of apps to keep track. I then lost another 4 kg by using the treadmill regularly. I stopped over a month ago cos I got lazy but luckily haven’t gained any weight, I’m hoping to lose another 3 kg starting next month!
Celery

Quick Reply

Latest