londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
https://twitter.com/PDQProperty/stat...66491553472514

These comments about wearing red and white poppies were made by Chris Wood, a former rifleman who served with 3 Commando Brigade.

Do you agree with the comments?
Think they were expressed too harshly?
Or have any concerns about traditional remembrance, political poppy symbolism or the potential to generate feelings of distress amongst injured military veterans/the relatives of soldiers killed in overseas combat operations?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
https://twitter.com/PDQProperty/stat...66491553472514

These comments about wearing red and white poppies were made by Chris Wood, a former rifleman who served with 3 Commando Brigade.

Do you agree with the comments?
Think they were expressed too harshly?
Or have any concerns about traditional remembrance, political poppy symbolism or the potential to generate feelings of distress amongst injured military veterans/the relatives of soldiers killed in overseas combat operations?
Yes I agree with what he says. At some stage someone stood up to protect and fight for the rights of others against people who wouldnt give a toss about peace.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Yes I agree with what he says. At some stage someone stood up to protect and fight for the rights of others against people who wouldnt give a toss about peace.
I agree with everything Chris Wood said except the part about "you owe it to them not to wear" white poppies.
Evoking the memory of armed forces personnel who sacrificed everything to defend their nation and freedom then hinting all white poppy wearers betray their memory.
I think Mr Wood got bad tempered and went a bit too far- perhaps remembering the friends he served alongside during his military career who were killed in action or badly injured.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
I agree with everything Chris Wood said except the part about "you owe it to them not to wear" white poppies.
Evoking the memory of armed forces personnel who sacrificed everything to defend their nation and freedom then hinting all white poppy wearers betray their memory.
I think Mr Wood got bad tempered and went a bit too far- perhaps remembering the friends he served alongside during his military career who were killed in action or badly injured.
Oh I agree with you on that point in that they can wear them and its their choice, but I agree with him is that it is the people who made the sacrifice who made it possible for people to wear white poppies, so I understand how it could irk him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (222)
60.99%
No (76)
20.88%
Not sure (66)
18.13%

Watched Threads