The Student Room Group

Postgraduate teacher trainee housing benefit, dependents?

Hi I started a PGCE primary ed course this year and have recently had my relationship breakdown. I was told by housing benefit I'm not entitled to any help with my rent, but my loan is only £8700 for the year which just covers my rent.

I also get parents learning allowance but that's just covered the extra nursery fees this term, that the childcare grant doesn't cover entirely. I have a 2 and 1 year old so I'm paying £500 a month on top of the grant.

Have I been misinformed?
Original post by Natalieleannet
Hi I started a PGCE primary ed course this year and have recently had my relationship breakdown. I was told by housing benefit I'm not entitled to any help with my rent, but my loan is only £8700 for the year which just covers my rent.

I also get parents learning allowance but that's just covered the extra nursery fees this term, that the childcare grant doesn't cover entirely. I have a 2 and 1 year old so I'm paying £500 a month on top of the grant.

Have I been misinformed?

Hi Natalie,

We would advise to contact your housing benefit agency as we are unable to advise on which benefits a student is entitled to.

Thanks,
Erin K

Quick Reply

Latest