The Student Room Group

Worrying about uni money

Is it worth still applying to a uni even though I will struggle to afford it? My student loan would just cover the cheapest accommodation and I’m not eligible for any more grants. Slightly worrying
It'd all depend on the degree's applicability to a high level job and the university's employment rates in this case - you could always do a degree level apprenticeship too and get paid for it
Also, if you did the degree without these, there are many part time jobs you could get as a student, even within unis
Reply 2
One of the unis I’m applying for though doesn’t allow you to have a job whilst you’re there so you can focus on your studies
Ohh, yeah that might be a problem. One other thing you could do is part time tutoring gcse/a level content in your subject since it'd probably help with recapping basics, not sure if the uni would have a problem with that or not though
Hi @Abbeynm,

Which university are you considering?

Have you considered a part-time job during university? Depending on your course you will have different contact hours (the time you spend in university), which changes how many days you have off. I know you said that one of the universities you're applying to doesn't allow you to have a part-time job, so maybe it's best off aiming for some of the others you've applied for.

Many universities have a Careers & Employability center that would aid in you getting a part-time student job. They also have many opportunities at university itself for you to take on a job, such as a Student Ambassador role.

Santander offer a 1|2|3 student account with a £1500 overdraft with no interest rate. This is something I chose to use alongside a part-time job and offered me a large safety net inbetween payments. Here's a link if you're interested: https://www.santander.co.uk/info/w18/current-accounts/123-student-current-account/

Lastly, have you looked into a hardship fund? Some universities will offer a hardship fund for those who are struggling and assess you on your living conditions. I know that Sheffield Hallam's hardship fund offers up to a potential £3000 for those in need.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions just let me know!

Josh
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Abbeynm
One of the unis I’m applying for though doesn’t allow you to have a job whilst you’re there so you can focus on your studies

Which uni is that?

Just work a lot over the summer and in holidays to get the money.
May also be worth taking a gap year to start getting some savings

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending