The Student Room Group

Any tips to stop seeking any form of validation from others?

:smile: ?
I want to get to a point where only my validation means something
Maybe it's not possible to. We're hard wired to seek validation from others because that's how we survive -- through cooperation with others, so their approval makes us feel good.

What kind of validation are we talking about? do you wanna be more specific?
Seeking approval can a bit complex thing to tackle. It's a combination of self-esteem, boundaries, and knowledge of oneself. You can't ever completely avoid people's perceptions of you, it's rooted in our biology and psychology to seek connections with others, and to compare ourselves socially. This isn't a conscious process either. Two things that can help you get a better idea of who you are and what you want is constantly asking yourself what do you want to do for yourself? What feels right to you in the moment? Then ask yourself the same questions with the added, "what if you didn't care what others think". You won't magically be indifferent of course. You can't ever be, that's perfectionism, but it does get you in touch with your own desires.

Another part of people pleasing could be lack of keeping your boundaries. You don't have to sacrifice your own desires for another person with the idea that they will like you more, and you shouldn't. We often like and respect those who are strong people, who can express themselves without shame and inhibition for being who they want to be. This is particularly difficult to do especially in those who always allowed others to control their behaviors and emotions. For that remember you are not responsible for what others feel or think, you are only responsible for your own thoughts and emotions.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Seeking approval can a bit complex thing to tackle. It's a combination of self-esteem, boundaries, and knowledge of oneself. You can't ever completely avoid people's perceptions of you, it's rooted in our biology and psychology to seek connections with others, and to compare ourselves socially. This isn't a conscious process either. Two things that can help you get a better idea of who you are and what you want is constantly asking yourself what do you want to do for yourself? What feels right to you in the moment? Then ask yourself the same questions with the added, "what if you didn't care what others think". You won't magically be indifferent of course. You can't ever be, that's perfectionism, but it does get you in touch with your own desires.

Another part of people pleasing could be lack of keeping your boundaries. You don't have to sacrifice your own desires for another person with the idea that they will like you more, and you shouldn't. We often like and respect those who are strong people, who can express themselves without shame and inhibition for being who they want to be. This is particularly difficult to do especially in those who always allowed others to control their behaviors and emotions. For that remember you are not responsible for what others feel or think, you are only responsible for your own thoughts and emotions.

what an amazing explanation :hugs: Thank you
Original post by Krisis
Maybe it's not possible to. We're hard wired to seek validation from others because that's how we survive -- through cooperation with others, so their approval makes us feel good.

What kind of validation are we talking about? do you wanna be more specific?

social validation
Original post by Secretnerd123
what an amazing explanation :hugs: Thank you

No problemo :smile: Hope it helped in some way :hugs:
Original post by JoshDarnIt
No problemo :smile: Hope it helped in some way :hugs:

I think it's something I struggle to let go of because of my childhood and perfectionism but I know one day, the only validation that will be important to me and that I'll be secure in will be mine
I think it's something I struggle to let go of because of my childhood and perfectionism but I know one day, the only validation that will be important to me and that I'll be secure in will be mine

I wish you luck in achieving that :biggrin:
Punch me in the ****ing face
Original post by 3PiCLxrd777
Punch me in the ****ing face

I'd love to but why?
Y not
Try to go on social media less, it really messes with you and makes you constantly base your value off what others look like and do. That’s what I recommend
I'd love to but why?

That was preetty funny :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending