Game Design at Brunel? Watch

Katalosi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Looking for peoples opinions on the course as a whole, I'll throw some specific questions I want answered add anything else though.

Do you need any pre-Game-design knowledge in terms of modelling, poly-modelling, story building etc, or are you roughly taught it?

Is the course friendly for beginners as a whole?

Whats the atmosphere of the course?

What is the timetable like, I.E Lectures, frees, projects etc?

Of the top of my head, those are the questions I'd like answered, but feel free to add anything else that could be useful.

Edit: Forgot one, I couldn't see anywhere on the Application page if you required an Interview or Portfolio, is this true or was it just not put on the site?
Last edited by Katalosi; 3 months ago
LexiKristen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bump ^^ I’m looking at the same course
Katalosi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LexiKristen)
Bump ^^ I’m looking at the same course
What other places have you looked at, I'm considering UAL now also
LexiKristen
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Katalosi)
What other places have you looked at, I'm considering UAL now also
Uh, I’ve only really just started looking at Uni’s. Only other ones I’ve looked at right now is Staffordshire and Huddersfield
Katalosi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Ah alright, https://www.arts.ac.uk/subjects/anim...mes-design-lcc heres the page if you want to give it look
lovebread
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think before you consider these sorts of degrees you should look at the job pool, requirements for the jobs and what they want before signing up for them as you will be facing them post graduation.

A work around simple poly modelling for games may set yourself thin as games have a lot of process in the pipeline such as texturing, animating, lighting, sculpting, vfx, rigging, uv and certain game engine tool knowledge, simply learning to model and graduating when there's much more things going down in the process is wearing yourself thin. Also if you enjoy 3D and story telling i'd rather recommend a 3D Animation degree instead of a Games as game artist usually focus only on the visuals and writers do the narration and scripts. A 3D Animator applies both story telling and 3D in one role of the pipeline with aknowledgement of understanding Modelling, Rigging, UV, Lighting and perhaps Texturing. Also there is much needed animators than level designers and i believe animators have an easier time getting into the industry where as level designers usually require expertise.
LexiKristen
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lovebread)
I think before you consider these sorts of degrees you should look at the job pool, requirements for the jobs and what they want before signing up for them as you will be facing them post graduation.

A work around simple poly modelling for games may set yourself thin as games have a lot of process in the pipeline such as texturing, animating, lighting, sculpting, vfx, rigging, uv and certain game engine tool knowledge, simply learning to model and graduating when there's much more things going down in the process is wearing yourself thin. Also if you enjoy 3D and story telling i'd rather recommend a 3D Animation degree instead of a Games as game artist usually focus only on the visuals and writers do the narration and scripts. A 3D Animator applies both story telling and 3D in one role of the pipeline with aknowledgement of understanding Modelling, Rigging, UV, Lighting and perhaps Texturing. Also there is much needed animators than level designers and i believe animators have an easier time getting into the industry where as level designers usually require expertise.
Thank you so much for this reply. I hadn’t really considered the animation side at all as I thought it depended on art (a qualification I won’t have).
lovebread
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much for this reply. I hadn’t really considered the animation side at all as I thought it depended on art (a qualification I won’t have).
What qualifications do you have? Does it have a portfolio?
sparkylab
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Katalosi)
Looking for peoples opinions on the course as a whole, I'll throw some specific questions I want answered add anything else though.

Do you need any pre-Game-design knowledge in terms of modelling, poly-modelling, story building etc, or are you roughly taught it?

Is the course friendly for beginners as a whole?

Whats the atmosphere of the course?

What is the timetable like, I.E Lectures, frees, projects etc?

Of the top of my head, those are the questions I'd like answered, but feel free to add anything else that could be useful.

Edit: Forgot one, I couldn't see anywhere on the Application page if you required an Interview or Portfolio, is this true or was it just not put on the site?
I didn't see anywhere that they require a portfolio, not even on UCAS description. Best to ask these questions (all you have above) to the administration (who may connect you to the course leader) . I have emailed quite a many unis.

if you are exploring Game Design, this uni really looked good:
VERY gaming oriented,it seems like you live breathe sleep gaming here!!! plus many courses are Screenskills accredited --
University of Abertay
LexiKristen
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lovebread)
What qualifications do you have? Does it have a portfolio?
I have a low pass gcse in art, but hopefully A-level’s in computer science, physics and English combined. Looking at all those modelling animation courses, they require art A level of a sort. I think I’m leaning more towards the games design courses overall
lovebread
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have a low pass gcse in art, but hopefully A-level’s in computer science, physics and English combined. Looking at all those modelling animation courses, they require art A level of a sort. I think I’m leaning more towards the games design courses overall
I see, why not just do comp sci degree and try to aim to work as a game dev instead of the artsy aspect?
Also i dont know if the grade for art really does matter but i do think an art portfolio would be a requirement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Mar '19
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 12 Apr '19
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (7)
11.29%
Yes - a food allergy (5)
8.06%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (3)
4.84%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (4)
6.45%
No (43)
69.35%

Watched Threads