Ucas Application as US Student. Watch

ThomasM2413
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
The UCAS application is kind of a pain as most of the terms and degrees are completely foreign to me and i cant seem to find any comparisons on google.

Does anyone have a rough guide for comparing a High School diploma to.... A levels or something like that????

Who i am - I graduated in the US from high school in 3 years instead of 4 doubling up on classes. (how does this effect the application?) my graduation was in 2017 and i have been out of school for a year now traveling. I plan on trying to go to school in London fall of 2019 but my GPA is a 3.0/ 84% and im not sure how that stacks up to schools in the UK/ what schools I would actually be able to get into?

Under the "education" tab on my UCAS application my High school does not come up and they also have no idea what a buzzword is when i contact them so trying to get a reference from a past teacher has to be "independent" but that means i have to ask one of my teachers what her address and phone number are which (not sure about in the UK) seems kind of intrusive and private. When it comes to filling out my "qualifications" under the same tab should i list every class ive taken during High School? or just the average of each subject over the course of my education (3 years?).

Ps what would a High School Diploma be considered, Honors Degree qualifications, Below Honors Degree qualifications or No qualifications?
nymphadoratonks
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
they’re all below honours degree qualifications.
did you take AP or IB? most UK unis only consider that, and Cambridge is the only school that figures your GPA in admissions at all. (They use both AP/IB & transcript)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ThomasM2413
Rep:
?
(Original post by nymphadoratonks)
they’re all below honours degree qualifications.
did you take AP or IB? most UK unis only consider that, and Cambridge is the only school that figures your GPA in admissions at all. (They use both AP/IB & transcript)
I dont think i took AP classes or IB, im not even sure what IB was.
Sarah357
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey! I am from the US and applied with UCAS in September. I also shared some of your questions and maybe I can help. For the buzzword - I would strongly suggest as applying as an independent. If your school is not a UCAS school already it can take awhile to become one. Important thing is to find someone from your school to write a recommendation. This is 4,000 characters and it is good to sit down with them and show them printed research so they know what UK Unis are looking for. I would suggest a counselor in case you need predicted scores. I took IB which gives you predicted scores, but if you have all your AP/ACT/SAT scores complete you will not need that. Good luck on your application!
Sarah357
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Another thing is UK universities really do not ever look at your GPA. You can research the scores they look at on their different websites, but typically its a combination of ACT scores, SAT scores, SAT Subject tests, and AP courses. You probably should not list every course you took during high school. Also, do not be afraid to call admissions offices if you have questions. I found that very helpful if there was information I could not find online but its mostly all there.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ThomasM2413)
but that means i have to ask one of my teachers what her address and phone number are which (not sure about in the UK) seems kind of intrusive and private.
Just use her school email and phone number, not her personal ones.

But more importantly...

I dont think i took AP classes or IB, im not even sure what IB was.
IB is the International Baccalaureate.

The US high school diploma is equivalent to GCSEs in the UK. That's not sufficient for university entry.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_school_diploma

Did you not do anything academic afterwards?

Perhaps you did SAT or ACT, or neither?

What age are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last edited by Doonesbury; 2 months ago
Octantis
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You could apply for foundation year programs
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ThomasM2413
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Just use her school email and phone number, not her personal ones.

But more importantly...

IB is the International Baccalaureate.

The US high school diploma is equivalent to GCSEs in the UK. That's not sufficient for university entry.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_school_diploma

Did you not do anything academic afterwards?

Perhaps you did SAT or ACT, or neither?

What age are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im 18 now and i never took the SAT. I didnt really know what i wanted to do in collage so i took a year off to travel. Found that i really enjoyed language and southeast asia, was hoping ide be able to study japanese or chinese in London.
ThomasM2413
Rep:
?
(Original post by Octantis)
You could apply for foundation year programs
do most unis offer this?
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Im 18 now and i never took the SAT. I didnt really know what i wanted to do in collage so i took a year off to travel. Found that i really enjoyed language and southeast asia, was hoping ide be able to study japanese or chinese in London.
Then you have effectively missed 2 years of high school (or whatever it is in the US) education.

do most unis offer this?
Have a google for "International Foundation Programme"
DriBokaie1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey!

I actually am a high school senior that applied to 5 universities in the UK (Leeds, Newcastle, Durham, Birmingham and Westminster)

I took 5 AP tests, have a 3.4 GPA and also took SAT reasoning and 3 SAT subject tests.

It honestly all depends on what course you want to take and what university it is. You should really do some research on the different universities, and definetely have a back up.

So far, I have gotten an offer to Newcastle and Westminster, and I am waiting for my others to make a decision.

If you have any specific questions regarding the UCAS application, scores, or anything else, feel free to message me!!
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DriBokaie1)
Hey!

I actually am a high school senior that applied to 5 universities in the UK (Leeds, Newcastle, Durham, Birmingham and Westminster)

I took 5 AP tests, have a 3.4 GPA and also took SAT reasoning and 3 SAT subject tests.

It honestly all depends on what course you want to take and what university it is. You should really do some research on the different universities, and definetely have a back up.

So far, I have gotten an offer to Newcastle and Westminster, and I am waiting for my others to make a decision.

If you have any specific questions regarding the UCAS application, scores, or anything else, feel free to message me!!
what were your SAT scores? your application looks too strong to have bothered applying to Westminster, one of the lowest ranks unis in the country..even as a safety!
DriBokaie1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
what were your SAT scores? your application looks too strong to have bothered applying to Westminster, one of the lowest ranks unis in the country..even as a safety!
I got a 630 on my math and 670 on reading/writing (so a 1300 total). My SAT Subject math was 580 (SUPER low...), 660 on Chemistry and 640 on Biology. But that was the first time I took those so I feel I did pretty decent regarding my situation. My SAT scores weren't what I hoped for, and though I did a lot of research, I did not really know how competitive the universities were. So I just decided to put Westminster on there because if all else fails ... at least I'm in London hahaha.
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DriBokaie1)
I got a 630 on my math and 670 on reading/writing (so a 1300 total). My SAT Subject math was 580 (SUPER low...), 660 on Chemistry and 640 on Biology. But that was the first time I took those so I feel I did pretty decent regarding my situation. My SAT scores weren't what I hoped for, and though I did a lot of research, I did not really know how competitive the universities were. So I just decided to put Westminster on there because if all else fails ... at least I'm in London hahaha.
yeah forget Westminster - are you even sure it'd be the London campus and not the Northwick Park campus (in a random residential suburb)?

I'd be surprised if Durham gave you an offer (unless you want your $$$) but Leeds, Newcastle and Brum are all excellent unis with a much better nightlife than Durham
callmechinchilla
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you guys know what to write for the fee code and residential category when you're a US applicant?
DriBokaie1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
yeah forget Westminster - are you even sure it'd be the London campus and not the Northwick Park campus (in a random residential suburb)?

I'd be surprised if Durham gave you an offer (unless you want your $$$) but Leeds, Newcastle and Brum are all excellent unis with a much better nightlife than Durham
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. Most likely I am going to Newcastle... I don't have a good feeling that Durham, Leeds or Brum will give me an offer. But it's an RG uni so I'm not bummed out or anything (from what I heard it has a great rep).

I was originally applying to only California universities, so the reason why some of my scores a little lower than my expectations is because I kinda rushed the whole testing process so I could get in my UCAS app.
DriBokaie1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by callmechinchilla)
Do you guys know what to write for the fee code and residential category when you're a US applicant?
For fee code I put 09 (international agency) because I am getting (hopefully) student loans from the US government (aka FAFSA). If you are planning to get loans from the US, put that. If you are planning to self-fund, then there should be an option for that. But make sure to check the FAFSA website to see if the UK uni is on the list of places they will give loans to.

In regards to residential category, I put "other".
Lara.xyz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have to agree with the others. A GED or a normal high school diploma is only equivalent to GCSEs and not A-levels, so most universities require at least 3 APs or 2 APs and a certain SAT score (A*AA equals about 720, ABB about 660). So if you haven't taken either APs or SAT you won't get straight into a course. Also, I'm just gonna make a bit of promotion for my uni, but Warwick offers an international foundation programme with 12 different courses, depending on what you are planning to study, and the entry requirement is a High School Diploma with an overall GPA of 3.0/4 in the final year. But yeah, just google around, most unis offer IFPs, I'm sure you'll find something.
DriBokaie1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
International Foundation Programmes are a great way to go if you don't meet entry requirements, however, I read on some places that if you want to transfer into entry 1 from an IFP that it is really difficult to get accepted. Take that with a grain of salt though because im not too educated on the whole IFP situation. Best of luck
DriBokaie1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ivy009)
Does anyone know if a US student CAN get fasfa loans for a Foundations course?

I have looked at these Fdn courses and some are "FE", further education or diploma classes.(as undergraduate degrees are "HE", higher education). I have seen "international" foundations courses listed at unis, yet I thought these are offered for those who may not have proficient english lang skills, I could be wrong. Some Foundation courses, allow direct entry into the uni's undergraduate degrees, this is a HUGE plus! Some are structured into the undergraduate degree and part of it, just calling it year "0". These are applied through UCAS sometimes with a different course number than the regular 3 year undergrad course. I also have found that you need to apply to some unis using that 3 year course number and if you dont meet the entrance requirements the uni will offer you the foundation course that leads to the undergrad course. I found this to vary among unis.

So, does anyone have experience if these "foundation" courses and can be entered into fafsa for tuition/living loans? Or are these couses totally out of pocket?

a NOTE TO THOMAS who began this thread: there are ways to enter UK unis if you havent done AP/IB tests, nor SAT tests. Also, some unis are better than others for the courses, specializing in certain things I mean.A uni might rank high in law but not be tops for arts etc. So for language (chinese/japanese) how "tops" does the school really have to be??
I believe you can get loans for foundation year since it is part of the university. I would still give fafsa a ring though to make sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?